Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:13 PM   #1

k well....here it goes. i have a nikon coolpix 2200, and i just reformatted it. Now, everytime i try to take a picture the autofocus goes on and the picture never takes. What do i do?

please help. anyone. btw ( if this helps) i am currently using the internal memeory.
quickpicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:38 PM   #2
Administrator

By "autofocus goes on", do you mean the AF LED by the viewfinder lights steady instead of blinking when you half press the shutter button to focus (steady versus blinking means it was able to lcok focus).

If it's blinking, try a subject with more contrast (in better light). If the camera can't see enough contrast to focus, it may not take the photo.

If it is locking focus (steady green AF LED when you half press the shutter button down while pointing at your desired subject to focus), you may have a setting somewhere causing a problem.

Try resetting everything back to factory defaults.

You'll probably find a RESET ALL menu choice somewhere in your SETUP menu. Steve didn't review the Coolpix 2200. But, it's probably similar to the Coolpix 3200 from a menu layout perspective. The RESET ALL is on the 5th page of the Setup menu with the 3200.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:10 PM   #3

i have done that all. thank you, it still seems to not work. the picture never takes:evil::sad:
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:28 PM   #4

If I read your post correctly the camera was working fine until you formatted the card. And it is still working OK using the internal memory or not? If not why aren't you using the card?

How did you format the card? It can be formatted with the computer or the camera. In the camera with either method or in a card reader with the computer. Can you reformat it with the camera? If you move images from the computer back to the card without any editing or renaming can you see the photos on the replay?

If you formatted it with the camera and can't reformat, try formatting with the computer. It is generally a bad idea to format with the computer but if the camera can't communicate with the card it is probably your only hope.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:40 PM   #5
Administrator

The menus have choices for both internal memory and any memory card inserted. I assumed from your post that you are using the internal memory and formatted it.

From what I can tell from looking at specs, that will actually work with your model (it's got something like 14.5MB of memory if memory serves). You just won't get a lot of photos that way.

I'd make sure you formatted the internal memory correctly. As slipe mentioned, use the camera menus for that purpose (not a PC).

If you used the RESET DEFAULT choice in the setup menus, that should have made sure a settings problem isn't causing the issues.

Are you sure you're getting a focus lock? What happens if you half press the shutter button down while pointing to a subject? Does the AF led light steady green (the one by the viewfinder)?

Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:54 PM   #6

when i press the button down to take a picture the AF light goes steady green. along with the flash button. the picture never takes.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:12 PM   #7
Administrator

Are you sure you've got the mode dial on a position where it will take photos (like the green camera)?

When you look at the LCD on the camera, does it show you photos remaining in the bottom right hand corner? For example, this LCD is showing 149 photos left on the inserted memory card:

If not (doesn't show any photos left in the bottom right hand corner), are you sure you formatted the internal memory using the Format menu choice in the camera's setup menus?

If it does show photos remaining, have you tried a fresh set of fully charged, high capacity NiMH batteries in it?

Have you tried it outside in good light (where it would not normally need a flash)?

Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:35 PM   #8

the dial is at the right place. i tried using the camera outside, and the AF light began flashing i held it for 10 seconds to see if it would ever take a picture, but it never happened. the batteries are two brand new duracell AA. also, the picture count is there: currently standing at 132.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:51 PM   #9
Administrator

That's odd.

I don't know why it would not take the photo, unless the batteries are not good enough for the flash to work (Alkalines are virtually useless in some cameras and I don't know how well yours would work with them).

But, if you tried it outside in broad daylight, that should have got around that problem.