Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:42 AM   #1

I have a Coolpix 7900 with a cracked LCD ala spider web pattern that is otherwise fine and have been taking pictures with it since the LCD broke and downloading them to my computer. In order to control the menus, I've marked out the menu button sequences. However one function that does not seem to work correctly and is causing problems is the exposure compensation. When I bought the camera, I vaguely recall there being a discrepancy between the otherwise fine Nikon manual and what the camera really did. This is a problem in AUTO mode which I need to use especially for closeup and flash functions. For distant shots I put the mode into Landscape which starts from a default exposure compensation of 0. However AUTO mode remembers the last used value. I think the issue is that the compensation actually goes beyond +2.0 to -2.0. If the manual is correct thereought to be 6 button sequences both above and below 0 or 13 total in the range. But that doesn't seem to be the case as it does appear there is another one to three levels at each end. When one is already at a limit buttoning in that same direction then actuating the select seems to allow the selection, however I expect that it is just staying at the limit. However in testing then reviewing downloaded images, I am getting inconsistent results. Tomorrow will tripod the camera and do so more carefully. However it would be nice for a 7900 (or 7600) owner to tell me what they see going on with their LCD. Note I've already scheduled replacement with a repair shop which is going to cost about $130 and will be sending the camera in when they receive the parts. Until then I still need to use the camera. ...David
bakpakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:48 AM   #2

What is making you assume that there is another few steps more than the 6 sequence up/down??
Are you able to still see through the LCD a little?
rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:58 PM   #3

Nada the LCD is totally useless beyond being an indication of power to the camera. In a few minutes I'll set up a test. What I did yesterday was button way more times say with the down button than are available and then due select. That ought to have put me at -2.0 or whatever is the bottom. Then if I button up6 and do select I ought to be at 0. Likewise6 more up ought to bring me to +2.0. If I continue to go up more it ought to just be staying at +2.0. But am seeing even more brighter images thus the increasing compensation wasn't topping out at a limit. However my initial testing was crude so I don't trust those results. More later.
bakpakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:26 AM   #4

Yes well that is a shame your lcd is broke but you have the right camera mate. I think it is unlikely that a Nikon will have faults unless its a specific-modle or something. I have't heared any trouble from 6700/7900modles.
Best of luck
rougevet is offline   Reply With Quote