Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 17, 2003, 5:03 PM   #1

Default Picked up my CoolPix 4500 today!

Well, stupid Owlz wasn't home when FedEx brought his new CoolPix 4500 yesterday, so he drove to the FedEx place & picked it up today.

I'm a little concerned about a sort of grinding sound when I turn the camera on. Please tell me it's normal. Second, on page 18 of the manual (yup, reading the manual ), in Step 1.3, it says 'Check the indicators in the monitor. Before shooting, check the battery level and the number of exposures remaining.' Here's the problem: I see *no* battery level indicator, as illustrated in the manual, in the monitor. What am I doing wrong? Second, where 'the number of exposures remaining' is, my camera says NORM [16] ! Checking page 101 of the manual, it would seem that the CF card that shipped with the camera is a 16 MB card, and the Image Size is pre-set at 2272 x 1704.

Thanks for any assistance with these questions. I have a feeling I'm going to love this camera, but right now I've got 'new-camera-itis,' so forgive any stupid questions.

Owlz
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2003, 7:57 AM   #2

A few answers.

1) The wiz-wiz-wiz noise on power on is normal.
2) The battery indicator only comes on as the power gets low.
3) The 16 indicates that you've got an estimated 16 exposures with the indicated image size. It's often a little conservative. You can change the file resolution through LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH and FINE. At the highest resolution you are using a Text Interchange File Format (TIFF) and you can only get one of those onto a 16MB card. I bought a 256MB card for my 4500 and use HIGH.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2003, 8:37 AM   #3

Thanks, Graham. I appreciate the assistance.

Owlz, in need of caffeine.
Old May 19, 2003, 8:44 AM   #4

My pleasure ! It's a great camera and I just hope you enjoy using it as much as I have.
Old May 19, 2003, 9:08 AM   #5

I'm looking forward to it! Right now, though, I'm stressing over the menu system. When I turn the camera on and press MENU, the 'default' menu seems to be the Image Size & Quality menu. Another thing I'm not entirely clear on is the continuous autofocus...can't find that menu, and I'm not sure if Continuous is better than Single.

Owlz
Old May 19, 2003, 9:56 AM   #6

The menu that you get depends on the degree of automatic control you allow the camera. When you are on fully manual you can control all of the menu options.

I use continuous for wildlife photographs, otherwise single.
Old May 19, 2003, 10:32 AM   #7

How do I set it to single focus mode? The manual isn't really clear (to me).