Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 20, 2003, 8:32 AM   #1

Default CoolPix 4500 menus

I think once I figure out my camera's menu system, my incessant, doubtless annoying posts will be reduced drastically. Many thanks to all for your continued assistance.

Owlz
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2003, 11:07 PM   #2

Owlz,
I have the same problem that you have - a confusing menu system and a confusing manual. But I am just starting to understand it after several days playing and using the 4500. It is so convoluted that I keep forgetting.

The manual looks to have been written by techies and not tested by new users. I keep looking for one page that will give the menu secret summary, but no luck so far. Once I get into a menu, it is quite simple to work with. Perhaps I will write a menu summary page myself if it does not clear up soon.

Good luck!
Johnny_cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 4:06 AM   #3

I started out with the same problems, and to be honest I still find the menu variation by camera mode a bit confusing on occasion. I used to take the manual with me on the bus in the morning, which perhaps is rather sad, but I eventually digested enough of the contents. Almost your best bet (but rather frustrating) is to work through the manual and note the settings you intend to use before you start to try and use the camera.

The good thing is that once you've got the camera set up you shouldn't have to do very much with the menus. You'll mainly use Playback for protecting and deleting images.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 2:01 AM   #4

I thought itv was only me I cannot even read the stupid book.
I can not even locate the menu.
Keith
keithgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 7:56 AM   #5

Thanks, guys. I just got back from a one-week vacation with my 4500. I took the manual along (intentionally) and now have my three User Settings configured. I shot in color & black-and-white (love that option!). My other pre-set is configured for sepia (another 'bonus' in my opinion), though I have yet to try that. The other two things I can't wait to experiment with are Macro and Movie Mode. I tried the latter on this trip, but to no avail. Still, I'm starting to have fun.

Owlz
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 9:35 AM   #6

Great to hear that Owlz. After the initial confusion, I am getting more and more comfortable with it, and the results have been phenomenal - much better than with my film slr Nikon because of the instant feedback and no worry about additional film/process costs.

I suppose it will become something like riding a bike, you learn and then it stays with you a lifetime. Except in this case, I will fall off the bike a few times and drag out the manual again.

Happy shooting! Johnny.
Johnny_cam is offline   Reply With Quote