Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 1, 2002, 11:50 PM   #11

Thank you Gordon for your info. it makes me feel better that if i get 5700 i will not be pulling my hair rather then taking pictures.

I read somewhere that some cameras are bettter for Mac then others so wanted to hear it from someone using it rather than the store.

i hope you take lots of pictures soon. Good Luck.
athem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 6:41 PM   #12

Athem,

I have a Nikon 995 with G4 One-Gig w/ Dual Processor using OS X. I use iPhoto and it works like a charm. You should have no problems...But if you shoot with the raw .nef file format I'm not sure how the Nikon software will work in OS X.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 3:41 PM   #13

Default nikon and OSx

Johnny,
i am looking for the same answer , if nikon has software for RAW conversion for Osx and if it works like what you are saying with your 995.

I am planning to visit professional camera store and hopefully i will get the answer.

what i dont understand is that why apple sight does not give that information. I use to think - if apple site is showing a camera on it , it has to be Osx compatible.

Even on nikon / Canon site there is no black and white information about it.........i am sure there are more people like me coming on digital market and new Mac with osX.

I was so happy to know that your camera is working with your system so well.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 4:27 PM   #14

Got this info from www.versiontracker.com for NikonVeiw 5.1.1 Looks like the raw conversion is taken care of with this release for the 5700 .

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...id=7404&db=mac

What's new in this version:
Support for EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Camera) version 2.2.
* Support for the D100 digital camera.
* Support for the camera Transfer button for Coolpix 2500 and Coolpix 2000 digital cameras with PTP connection. This function is only available when using Mac OS 10.1.3 (or greater) additionally, when using a Coolpix 2500 camera the firmware must be version 1.1 or greater. To confirm the current firmware version: Coolpix 2500 a. Press and hold down theMen button. b. Turn the camera toPlaybac mode. c. Continue to hold the Menu button until the firmware version appears in the monitor. The monitor will display "*.*" where "*.*" represents the version number d. Turn the camera off. This completes the version confirmation procedure If your Coolpix 2500 indicates firmware 1.0, install the Coolpix 2500 1.1. firmware update
* Support for the transfer, playing, and deletion of sound files saved with the Coolpix 4500 and D100 digital cameras.
* Support for the display and saving of RAW format images recorded with the D100 and Coolpix 5700 digital cameras.
* Nikon Editor has been added to provide simple image editing functions.
* A function for sending images as attachments to email messages has been added.
* Support for a cache function that allows for the quick display of images when viewed as thumbnails.
* Support for a file export function for printing images.
* Support for a function that allows the editing of IPTC information.
* Support for a CMS (Color Management System) function for printing.
* Support that allows scan information to be displayed for images saved with Nikon Scan version 3 or later.
* Support for web registration to allows the upload of images to Nikos online album site (www.nikonnet.com).
* Support for a function to delete images from the CF card once they have been transferred to a computer with Nikon Transfer.
* Maximum zoom ratio for images displayed in Nikon Viewer has been reduced from 800% to 200%.
* Resolved a problem on dual processor computers running Mac OS X. While fully operational on dual processor Macintosh computers, Nikon View 5.1.1 will show no speed increase over single processor systems. Performance will be enhanced in future versions of Nikon View.
* Resolved a problem that caused the uses environment to be reset to default settings, or mail contents to be deleted when Nikon View 5 was installed under Mac OS X with another application open.
* Corrected a problem that caused images captured with the Coolpix 5700 in RAW format to display colors differently in Nikon Viewer and Nikon Editor after Saturation Compensation had been applied.
* Corrected a problem that caused RAW format images captured with the D100 to display incorrect tones and shades in Nikon Browses slideshow.
* Changed the Shooting Dataimage descriptio label to readimage comment.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 4:30 PM   #15

One more thing...check out Nikon Capture also:

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=15669&db=mac

Best,

John V
Old Aug 3, 2002, 4:45 PM   #16

Default OS X Nikon Editor Raw files

Athem,

Since it is raining outside and I can't do the rototilling that I had planned, I'm learning to use my new 5700.

I installed Nikon Viewer and Nikon Editor on my Mac G4 running 10.1.5, without any problems. Then I switched the camera to RAW mode and took some test shots. JPEG in fine mode gives file sizes of 1.4-1.6 MB. RAW mode pushes this up to 7.6MB!

Nikon Editor can do some standard photo manipulations, but I'll stick to PhotoShop for most work. With RAW images (not JPEG) this editor can also change the white balance and do exposure corrections. Seeing all the camera settings at the time of exposure is interesting. I need to do some more exploring in the software or run through the tutorial.

Bottom line: all this stuff works just fine with Mac OS X!

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 5:57 PM   #17

Default 5700 & mac

Gordon,

you are giving good news about mac and 5700. Is there a big difference in RAW image and jpeg fine?? specially with the noise.

5700 is in my budget for now but i am so tempted to consider D60. So am very curious to know when you finish processing your pictures,,,

JOHNNY,

thank you for the Raw conversion info. so that is one thing out of the way from my decesion.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 6:27 PM   #18

Default Nikon 995?

Johnny,
I am reviewing all info that i got here and going back and forth with "model selection", i am thinking, should i consider 995?(very good $$$) & since this is going to be my first digital and may be get D60 or so in a years time.

Imaportant question is...what do you use 995 for ???this will help me with my decision.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 7:35 PM   #19

Athem,

The most important question is what are you going to use it for?

Myself...I just purchased the 995 last week - it's a refurb. Up until then I was borrowing a friend's 990. My intention was just to buy the 995 to shoot items to sell on eBay, do some family pictures and also to do some fine art pictures. Now that last item has me wishing I had the 5700 as I can see the potential of a bigger digital file. With the 995 I can print up to a 8x10 with acceptable sharpness - with a smaller size image and the sharpness is real nice. You have to know that I shoot all all film formats from 35mm to 4x5 and I scan my film with my Howtek Drum Scanner so resolution and quality is very important to me. But I've been getting some nice 5x7 prints with the 995 and wish now that I bit-the-bullet for the Nikon 5700 as I would like the option of having to print bigger.

So tell us more what you are going to shoot!

Here's my first digital image taken with the 995.

Best,

John V.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:03 PM   #20

I had a fascination with "MAC". so year or so ago i bought mac (my first computer) learned photoshop, got design collection with ps7,ill10etc.

A friend is graphic designer and as training suggested i can take pictures and crop it (promotion flyers, packaging, labeling etc, etc) Friend does not have digital camera and has older mac than mine.....so this seems like good opportunity...
I would also like to take pictures of home(interior) and try to use it for different options for layouts etc, colour changes etc...

In theory it seems like a good idea that digi-camera can be a good tool to use it witth mac and explore creative aspect .

I know i have to learn a lot but i can do it at my pace and who knows...it is one time expense