Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 22, 2003, 12:57 PM   #1

Default EN-EL1 Questions

I am in need of a new battery, and I was looking on amazon.com. They have a good price for the Nikon brand, but one of the comments by buyers mentions a newer Nikon 680mAh EN-EL1... as opposed to the older 650 mAh. Does the 680 Nikon brand exist?

The battery is on clearance, so I wonder if they are selling the older one before putting out the new one. I would be shocked if they stopped selling this. It is ranked 38th on their sell list.

..or are they selling the 680 version and simply did not update their specs?

If I order from Nikon (about $9 total more) would I get the 680 version? I know it is not much of a difference, but every little bit helps.

Thanks.
mattg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 1:16 PM   #2

Opening my camera answered part of my question...

Mine came with the 680mAh in it, but that still leaves the question of whether or not the one on Amazon.com is the newer 680 or not. Anyone know? I doubt they would tell me anything other than what is listed, but I have seen many times where specs don't get updated, but the newer better product is sold.

Are the batteries on Ebay that claim to be 750mAh really that much? Why so cheap then? What does using a generic brand do to my warrantee?
Old May 22, 2003, 4:54 PM   #3

I just got two 720mAh shipped for $30 on eBay... they seem to work just fine.

The manual says (for the 4500) that use of non-Nikon batteries may void the warranty, BUT, the warranty doesn't mention anything about switching batteries, unless that it an "unauthorized change of parts."

A battery is basically a battery as long as it is the right voltage- I don't see anything that could go wrong by using a generic brand... it's the same thing as why a Mercury costs more than a Ford when the only difference is the label...

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 5:02 PM   #4

One thing I did notice is that some on ebay have 7.4volt batteries (the correct Voltage) and some say 7.2 volts.

I am a little concerned about buying a cheap battery and having it leak or ruin the camera or whatever... in that case, Nikon would not cover the damage (rightfully so)... and I would think that the generic battery company would not either.
Old May 22, 2003, 5:12 PM   #5

Mine is a 7.4 volt and it powers the camera just fine... they're not my primary batteries, so they wouldn't be the ones to leak if I'm not using the camera... I don't think they'd be leaking, anyway... the batteries are thick.

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote