Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:30 AM   #1

Hope someone can steer me in the right dierction. I just damaged the LCD screen on my 5400. It appears to have taken a hit. The frame and swivel mechanism are fine. When I power it up I see white and vertical lines.
Is this something I can replace myself? Where can I obtain the part/s. I see 'parts' cameras on ebay for cheap. Any place else?
Thanks in adavance ftom a newbie. I searched the archives and did not see a thread.
:?
trafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:38 PM   #2
Administrator

If you do not routinely work on modern micro electronics I would not recommend attempting this repair yourself. It requires disassembly of the camera, small tools and a knowledge of how to take things apart and reassemble them again in working condition. Just getting one of these cameras open is a trick in itself as there hidden screws and some of the obvious screwsdo not all get taken out. Most repair places will charge youmore to fix a DIY "basket case" box of partsthan a broken camera.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:49 PM   #3

Steve, Thanks for the word of warning, but I think I have the capabilities and the tools. I also have backup EE's to lend a hand, but need some direction. You mention I need to go into the camera, body, I presume, not just change out the flip out screen. Do you know if I can find a schematic on line or any other instructions? Any suggestions as to a source for parts?
Thanks,
T
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:36 PM   #4
Administrator

I think you'll find the LCD and ribbon cable are one piece and it plugs into the camera board inside the body thus requiring the dismantling of the LCD frame and splitting open the camera body. Sorry but I do not have a service manual for that camera, just be sure to use lots of common sense when taking it apart, photograph it frequently and keep the parts lined up in the order they came out and reverse it for reassembly. And watch out for the damn flash capacitor or zap!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 1:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the warning. I called Nikon and they sent me the blowup of the parts,. The part is $80+, and I found a shop, iCamera, that will repair if for $125, so I guess I'll let them do it.