Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   is the 50-200mm sharp? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/50-200mm-sharp-197413/)

Steven R Mar 25, 2012 7:30 PM

is the 50-200mm sharp?

A couple weeks back I took my camera for a little walk around the neighborhood. I was walking between one of the ponds and the thick woods that were beside it. I heard a bird call in the trees and looked up and saw a hawk on one of the tree branches. Got some quick grab shots thru other branches, and the E-3 actually did a good job quickly focusing thru the branches. Anyway, thought I would share. Not the best technically, but I continue to be impressed with this camera and lens.
E-2, 50-200mm @full 200mm, f7.1, 800 ISO. OOC; no PP and no cropping.

http://stevenr.smugmug.com/photos/i-...CzB6mvF-XL.jpg

Wigpro Mar 25, 2012 8:09 PM

Nice grab and you will find the 50-200 to be as sharp as a tack, if you get it focused...sometimes mine hunts a little, but generally if I clean the contacts the hunting goes away.

The eye is dead focused...good job!

Jim

gjtoth Mar 26, 2012 8:21 AM

Oh, yeah... it's sharp! And, It produces some of the most fantastic bokehs I've ever seen. Good one, Steve!

tkurkowski Mar 26, 2012 11:03 AM

Very nice! Oly cameras are not renowned for their AF performance, although that rarely seems to be a problem for me. Two nights ago I was shooting an event at our Temple with the 14-35 f/2, whose AF performance many folks have issues with. I was shooting individual people in a moving procession at EV=5 so the system had to focus quickly in low light. It nailed some 20 people in a row.

Getting back to the subject of the OP, are you guys planning to start a 50-200mm religion? :)

gjtoth Mar 26, 2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 1292447)
Very nice! Oly cameras are not renowned for their AF performance, although that rarely seems to be a problem for me. Two nights ago I was shooting an event at our Temple with the 14-35 f/2, whose AF performance many folks have issues with. I was shooting individual people in a moving procession at EV=5 so the system had to focus quickly in low light. It nailed some 20 people in a row.

Getting back to the subject of the OP, are you guys planning to start a 50-200mm religion? :)

Maybe not "religion", but how 'bout "fan boys"? heheheh :D

Steven R Mar 26, 2012 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 1292447)

Ted: that must have been with your E-5, everyone says it is faster than the E-3. Sounds like it works really well for you. For most of my shots, the E-3 has been excellent with the 50-200. Shooting with the 70-300 is much slower in lower light, but I think that is more the limitation of the lens rather than the camera.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have better bird shots, but I wanted to share this one because I was impressed with the quick grab shot through the branches. I had it on single spot focus, and quickly put it on the eye and pushed the shutter. Bingo, spot on focus immediately. How can I complain about that?

MarceloLI Mar 26, 2012 9:51 PM

It is the sharpest lens on the planet and around..!!

This is a great shot, it is a sharp picture.

Marcelo

Lordje Mar 27, 2012 6:16 PM

Nice shot Steve and not easy to take also.
You made a hell of a job :)

tkurkowski Mar 28, 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven R (Post 1292598)
Ted: that must have been with your E-5, everyone says it is faster than the E-3. Sounds like it works really well for you. For most of my shots, the E-3 has been excellent with the 50-200.

The E3 was excellent for me with the 50-200 also. I only mentioned the autofocus because the particular photo you posted, is the type of thing that many folks claim an Oly AF can't readily lock on to. Obviously the Oly AF did fine in your photo and I was just saying it does fine for me also.

Oly CAF is another issue, of course.