Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   9-18mm lens sample images (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/9-18mm-lens-sample-images-147008/)

zig-123 Sep 24, 2008 6:04 PM

I just noticed this post at the Oly Dslr forum at DPreview. It features images taken with an E-3 and the new 9-18mm lens. For those interested:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29465732

These are the first images I've seen and they look pretty good.

HarjTT Sep 24, 2008 8:10 PM

Hi Zig

Looks interetesting from those shots. I;d liek to hear how it compares to the 11-22 and the 7-14. I'd be very suprised if it was anywhere near to the 7-14's IQ but what about the 11-22?

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

Mikefellh Sep 24, 2008 9:12 PM

Not to mention the Sigma 10-20mm.

Also would like to see it put up against the 14-42/14-54/14-45...just to see how much wider it is compared to where the 14's stop.


zig-123 Sep 25, 2008 6:13 AM

John Foster has recently mentoned on his website that he's due to get a test 9-18mm lens soon. I'm looking forward to his alwaysthorough review.

Zig

tkurkowski Sep 25, 2008 4:30 PM

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

John Foster has recently mentoned on his website that he's due to get a test 9-18mm lens soon. I'm looking forward to his alwaysthorough review.

Zig
Zig,why would you want a wide slow lens?

<grin>

Ted

Greg Chappell Sep 25, 2008 5:50 PM

I just posted this link in another spot, but take a look at these....the Panasonic LX3 fitted with its' wide conversion lens that gives you a 35mm equivalent of 18mm f2. Just place your curser over the image selected and click on the "photo info" to get all the EXIF...

http://norpheus.smugmug.com/gallery/...80251171_6TheP

These are pretty amazing....can't imagine what a 9mm(18mm) f2 Digital Zuiko might cost!

tkurkowski Sep 25, 2008 6:42 PM

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:

I just posted this link in another spot, but take a look at these....the Panasonic LX3 fitted with its' wide conversion lens that gives you a 35mm equivalent of 18mm f2. Just place your curser over the image selected and click on the "photo info" to get all the EXIF...

http://norpheus.smugmug.com/gallery/...80251171_6TheP

These are pretty amazing....can't imagine what a 9mm (18mm) f2 Digital Zuiko might cost!
Wow! Thanks!

> These are pretty amazing....can't imagine what a 9mm (18mm) f2 Digital Zuiko might cost!

Dunno what the conversion lens costs, but Amazon has the cam for US$460. Um, you think maybe an Oly 4/3 lens might be a lot more than that?

<grin>

Ted

PS: Of course, there are folks here who assert that a Pana Leica lens isn't a true Leica, despite those photos...

HarjTT Sep 25, 2008 7:41 PM

Hi Greg

thnaks for postign those.. damn those are really good pics from the LX3! Amateur Photographer UK last week tested the LX3 against the G10 and one other P&S - and for the first time ever the Panaleica beat the two other cam's esp in terms of IQ and lens. Up to ISO400 the pics from the LX3 were better than the G10 and ISo800 wasn;t bad at all.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

zig-123 Sep 25, 2008 9:11 PM

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:

I just posted this link in another spot, but take a look at these....the Panasonic LX3 fitted with its' wide conversion lens that gives you a 35mm equivalent of 18mm f2. Just place your curser over the image selected and click on the "photo info" to get all the EXIF...

http://norpheus.smugmug.com/gallery/...80251171_6TheP

These are pretty amazing....can't imagine what a 9mm (18mm) f2 Digital Zuiko might cost!
Well, since the ZD 14-35mm f2.0 sells for around 1,950bucks my guess it's higher than that!!!

Also, as I mentioned in the other post, these photos done with the Panasonic LX3 are simply terrific.. Very impressive indeed.

Greg Chappell Sep 25, 2008 11:14 PM

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:


Wow! Thanks!

> These are pretty amazing....can't imagine what a 9mm (18mm) f2 Digital Zuiko might cost!

Dunno what the conversion lens costs, but Amazon has the cam for US$460. Um, you think maybe an Oly 4/3 lens might be a lot more than that?

<grin>

Ted

PS: Of course, there are folks here who assert that a Pana Leica lens isn't a true Leica, despite those photos...
I think the conversion lens is around $200, plus you've got to buy the tube to fit it. The price of thecombination is probablynot far off ofwhat the 9-18 Zuiko is going to cost.

As far as the *Leica* lenses go....I do realize they definitely are not German-made Leica...if they were,few over in the Panasonic forum at DPReviewwould be able to afford the camera(!), but Leica does have some sort of input into the design and overseeing of the process, or I don't think they'd let their name get on them. The Panny Leica lenses have always been extremely nice and the cameras a joy to use...it's been a processing issue that's held them back.

I figured the conversion lens would be good, but not that good. I use the wide angle adaptor DMW-LW55 with the Panasonic FZ50, which converts the wide end of that camera from 35mm to 24mm and have to use a profile in PTLens to straighten the inevitable bent-line distortion conversion lenses bring, and I can see some of that in these images with the LX3, but not much, and I can see from the EXIF data these images are straight from the camera with no post processing and distortioncorrection used.

Plus you can use your Olympus flash in the dedicated hot shoe of the LX3for TTL control.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:29 AM.