Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   E-1 Update (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/e-1-update-14553/)

fporch Oct 7, 2003 6:38 PM

E-1 Update
 
B&H is listing the Olympus E-1 as "available", no lenses or accessories listed yet. Rep I called said info was still being entered on the web site. Here's an Oct. 2 review and sample photos with final production hardware.


http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse1/

tkmckay Oct 7, 2003 7:57 PM

I noticed that my favourite online camera store up here in canada has it listed on their site as well. To bad for the basic kit with the 14-54mm lens it costs about the same as a simester of school for me. :cry:

Ah, something to hopefully look forward to maybe next spring/summer when prices have hopefully decreased. :wink:

Reading some posts and seeing some comparison's from end users that own the E-1 now and some other DSLR cameras/systems it looks very promising as most people have nothing but good things to say about it...and that includes some users that own some fairly decent existing Canon and Nikon hardware.

Since I don't own any SLR lenses from an existing line the end costs for me are all about equil so the E-1 is definately in the cards of choices..... How much is the Super7 draw this Friday again? :P

fporch Oct 7, 2003 10:11 PM

Keep studying pal and you too will one day barely have enough to put your own kids through college and throw a little away on a toy once in a while (like the E-1). I'm living proof that anyone can graduate from college and make a decent living - HA! B&H only has the body listed - no lenses. Kind of hard to get excited about that.......

tkmckay Oct 7, 2003 10:31 PM

Quote:

B&H only has the body listed - no lenses. Kind of hard to get excited about that.......
Yea thats a good point....kinda no use having the camera listed if you can't take any pictures cause of the lack of a lens. To tell you the truth im not totally sure why the E-1 is even being sold without the 14-54mm lens in the kit. Who really is going to buy just the body and not buy the 14-54mm lens? I guess someone could want the camera only for telephoto work.... :roll:


Then again, this is DSLR which I have 0.00 experience with....so I don't exactly have much of a clue what im talking about! :P

tedj101 Oct 8, 2003 1:00 PM

Something you might consider quite seriously is the difference in depth of field that will be available to you with the E-1. I bought a couple of higher end digicams before buying my D100 and, while I really liked the digital cameras, I had a real gripe with the extreme depth of field that accrues pretty much everywhere because the focal lengths of the lenses are so short. I then bought a D100 and got back real control over depth of field. That change alone justified the cost.

Now Olympus is coming out with a new "pro" level camera that will use shorter focal length lenses pretty much across its range. That will increase depth of field across the range with this camera. That's fine if that's what you want - but it rarely is for me...

Just another point of view!

<TED>

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkmckay
I noticed that my favourite online camera store up here in canada has it listed on their site as well. To bad for the basic kit with the 14-54mm lens it costs about the same as a simester of school for me. :cry:

Ah, something to hopefully look forward to maybe next spring/summer when prices have hopefully decreased. :wink:

Reading some posts and seeing some comparison's from end users that own the E-1 now and some other DSLR cameras/systems it looks very promising as most people have nothing but good things to say about it...and that includes some users that own some fairly decent existing Canon and Nikon hardware.

Since I don't own any SLR lenses from an existing line the end costs for me are all about equil so the E-1 is definately in the cards of choices..... How much is the Super7 draw this Friday again? :P


NHL Oct 8, 2003 1:34 PM

Quote:

Now Olympus is coming out with a new "pro" level camera that will use shorter focal length lenses pretty much across its range. That will increase depth of field across the range with this camera. That's fine if that's what you want - but it rarely is for me...
I agree with TED there as well... This questionable DOF was brought up before but barely went noticed until people start experiencing with the actual camera system. My bet is it'll be somewhat better than smaller digicams and more likely to the discontinued APS based SLR, than a crop out 35 format like the D100 or 10D which everyone is familiar with. :wink:

fporch Oct 8, 2003 8:45 PM

It sounds like you think the E-1 will not have as good DOF becasue the lenses are shorter - correct? THX

NHL Oct 8, 2003 9:40 PM

Actually I think it'll have too good of a DOF, remember the smaller the format the more the DOF? IMO the canon EF-S lenses companion to the 300D (or most lenses designed for digital only) suffer the same consequence as well, unlike regular 35mm lenses that still maintain the same focal lengths (but cropped out by the internal CCD instead)... Shallow DOF or the de-focus effect is what they'll be slightly lacking! :wink:

fporch Oct 8, 2003 9:59 PM

OK, I get it now. I do on occassion defocus backgrounds using Photoshop Elements on shots taken with my Oly C-730. Looks pretty good, but I know such manipulations are somewhat controversial......THX.

tedj101 Oct 9, 2003 4:53 AM

I don't find that controversial -- it's one heck of a lot of work to accomplish something that can usually be accomplished with a little thought at the time that you are taking the picture. What I find quite amusing about the C7XX range (I have a C700 among other cameras) is the "portrait" setting on the main dial. It doesn't accomplish anything. The darned lens is so short that it is in focus almost everywhere!

Regards,
<TED>


Quote:

Originally Posted by fporch
OK, I get it now. I do on occassion defocus backgrounds using Photoshop Elements on shots taken with my Oly C-730. Looks pretty good, but I know such manipulations are somewhat controversial......THX.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:44 AM.