Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:51 PM   #1

Default E-3 vs E-5

I am kinda coming full circle in my photography adventures and thinking of going back to Olympus. My first DSLR was an E-500 followed by an E-1. From there I moved to Pentax to take advantage of the cheap lens options but I'm starting to tire a bit when it comes to using old glass. I still have my Sigma 135-400 which is a servicable AF long lens but needs a better body. Focus is often useless on the 500. I tried a Panasonic G5 with adapter but it only works reliably in MF mode and the ergonomics of it suck for me. So I have been thinking of a 'new' old camera and frankly the Oly stuff is all cheap now which is important for me as my budget is tight. That in mind, is the E5 worth double the E3? Not that $400 is that much compared to $200 but with the extra $200 I could add a 50mm macro. I'm not into chasing megapixels so the few extra in the E5 don't really matter, but if performance and higher ISO results are much better in it then I would be tempted. One of the reasons I switched away from Oly was the poor light in the PNW means higher ISO shooting. Anyway, if anyone has experience with both and has an opinion I'd love to hear it. If anyone is still here that is....

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:37 PM   #2

Hi John: I have both the E-3 and the E-5.I have used the E3 for a long time and love it. I was not planning to buy another camera, but when I had my stroke, I dropped my E-3 on a concrete floor and damaged it. KEH had a used E-5 in excellent condition at a very reasonable price, so I purchased it. The E-5 uses the same body as the E-3, so the layout and controls are identical. The picture quality of both are top notch. They are both rugged and weatherproofed. There are a couple of things that you gain with the E-5: First is-Video. The E-5 adds video shooting mode, which is not available with the E-3; and while both have dual card slots that can use CF cards; the E-5 also can take an SD card rather then the old xD cards.

So both are fine cameras and I think you would be well served by either. Good luck on your choice.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi John: I have both the E-3 and the E-5.I have used the E3 for a long time and love it. I was not planning to buy another camera, but when I had my stroke, I dropped my E-3 on a concrete floor and damaged it. KEH had a used E-5 in excellent condition at a very reasonable price, so I purchased it. The E-5 uses the same body as the E-3, so the layout and controls are identical. The picture quality of both are top notch. They are both rugged and weatherproofed. There are a couple of things that you gain with the E-5: First is-Video. The E-5 adds video shooting mode, which is not available with the E-3; and while both have dual card slots that can use CF cards; the E-5 also can take an SD card rather then the old xD cards.

So both are fine cameras and I think you would be well served by either. Good luck on your choice.
Thanks, Steven. Sorry to hear about your stroke, hope you are recovering nicely. The SD slot is a plus. I have plenty of CF cards but they are slow. Not sure how much I would use the video, I have it on 3 other cameras and have never used it. In fact the one time I should have, when my wife and I stumbled upon a bird feeding frenzy along the Washington coast I totally forgot I even had the option. I'll keep thinking and seeing what is out there but knowing the quality of the Oly glass I want to take advantage of it now that I can afford them.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote