Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Olympus dSLR (
-   -   E300, Shutter B and USB port (

Khun_Horm Nov 18, 2005 5:45 AM

Olympus Studio software together with the USB cable could perform a BULB shutter on E-300 without Power Battery Holder. I think that if the Olympus Studio could perform Shutter B (BULB) thru the USB cable, the USB remote cable is not entirely impossible yet there is no USB remote cable available from Olympus.

Are there any third party USB remote cables available in the market that allow E300 to use shutter B (BULB) without using Power Battery Holder?

Reanimator Nov 18, 2005 11:24 AM

sorry this isnt an answer to ur question, but what time are u after on bulb??

u can set it uptp 30 seconds exposure is that not long enough??

i use the same camera by the way :-)

Mikefellh Nov 18, 2005 2:52 PM

It's not as simple as closing a's a series of commands sent to the camera, and of course every manufacturer uses a different series of I don't think anyone would be inspired to manufacture such a device.

The E-500 can actually use the IR remote to control the bulb function, however you'd have to be cable to aim it right at the sensor on the camera so no IR light gets to the lens. The only reason the E-500 does it this way is because that camera has no option for cable remote or battery holder for that matter.

BTW, I am an E-300 too (I have to update my avatar one of these days).

Khun_Horm Nov 18, 2005 7:57 PM

Oh Reanimator I am not sure how long I would need for Bulb but I am trying to capture star tails here. Eventhough 8 minutes doesnt seem to be bong enough but it sure better than 30 sec.

And I am sure Mikefellh that the series of commands sent to the camera are a bit too complicated but they are not impossible to be captured. I am sure can intercept the signal sent thru USB cable, record the signal and Make a device in question but if I do it myself the size of this remote is not gonna smaller than a laptop and this is not a good idea at all.

Reanimator Nov 19, 2005 6:01 AM

had a look through my box and paper work that came with my camera and it shows a cable operated remote, now it doesnt show where it goes or what it does. dont know it thats what u mean

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"was thinking though if it does the bulb setting from a pc via software u have two options, one is to get a long usb cable and run it outside( think local pc shop as a 10 meter one) or get a cheap laptop and run it from that where ever u want

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"hope something there may help you, can fully solve ur problem as i have not tried to do it............YET !!!

Khun_Horm Nov 19, 2005 6:13 AM

That remote cable only works on E300 with power battery grip. So if I want to use cable I have to buy Power Battery Grip too.

And, like you said, if I want to use USB cable I will need a lap top.

It seem that there is no way I can use Bulb with only 1 additional accessory.

Reanimator Nov 19, 2005 7:23 AM

just did a search of accessories in UK and the bettery pack hld-3 is £69 but cable release is £44 !

the battery pack looks nice and for a genuine part i suppose is a fair price but the cables is just silly

Khun_Horm Nov 19, 2005 10:06 AM

the battery grip is around £85 here in Australia but I personally dont like how the E300 look with the battery grip tho.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:44 PM.