Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   F i n a l l y !! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/f-i-n-l-l-y-174755/)

TekiusFanatikus Jul 30, 2010 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjtoth (Post 1123949)
I figured out why I wasn't getting hummingbirds to the feeders. I had the feeders too close to the other birds' feeding station.

Cool! I will have to try this as I have everything bunched around one window...

BTW, #3 on the second is sharp as a nail - good shot!!

gjtoth Jul 30, 2010 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus (Post 1124052)
Cool! I will have to try this as I have everything bunched around one window...

BTW, #3 on the second is sharp as a nail - good shot!!

Thanks very much, TF.

I got a clue when I walked in on some hummingbirds checking out the stuff around my patio/pergola. One almost flew into my face! They had been there all along and I never even knew it. Literally minutes after I move the feeder, they appeared at it! Seems they don't like the heavy traffic in the area of the feeding station on the other side of the house. :)

Steven R Jul 30, 2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scouse (Post 1124048)
Clone some faerie wings on one of your crocs..!

I'll have to leave that to the Disney Studios as I don't plan on getting that close to them! LOL! :shakehead:

No hummingbirds in my back yard. My backyard birds have beaks larger than the whole body of a hummer. :)

http://stevenr.smugmug.com/Animals/H..._wRgax-S-1.jpg

Scouse Jul 30, 2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjtoth (Post 1124051)
Thanks very much!

I didn't use a remote shutter release, Scouse. I use a wireless remote flash on a tripod outside the door I was shooting through. I'm using the Cactus V2 and it works flawlessly. I bought an extra receiver for it and I'm able to use both Vivitar 285HVs I have for OCF. Makes it reeeeeaaaally nice.

It's me that would like the remote shutter release. That way I can set the camera up outside up, pre-focus take the shot, And trip the flash.
The E500 has no way of doing any of this.

Scouse Jul 30, 2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven R (Post 1124068)
I'll have to leave that to the Disney Studios as I don't plan on getting that close to them! LOL! :shakehead:

No hummingbirds in my back yard. My backyard birds have beaks larger than the whole body of a hummer. :)

My little finger is larger than the whole hummer!

gjtoth Jul 31, 2010 8:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scouse (Post 1124071)
It's me that would like the remote shutter release. That way I can set the camera up outside up, pre-focus take the shot, And trip the flash.
The E500 has no way of doing any of this.

And, therein lies the rub. Critters have a way of messing up even the best of pre-aimed, pre-focused images. I've tried and tried this method and while I did get some decent captures, they weren't anywhere near what #3 is in the second set. The critter will do SOMETHING to mess up the shot either by not being in exactly the pre-focus area or in some "off" position in the composition. If the glass from the door wouldn't have been in the way, I would have used the hotshoe flash and it would have come out great. But, these guys are a little too skittish right now. I'll give them more time and then shoot outside.

boBBrennan Jul 31, 2010 10:25 AM

I am still awaiting to see a hummer, the syrup is evaporating; seems even the ants are not interested.

Great results with the flash Gary..... keep shootin!
____
boBB

gjtoth Jul 31, 2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boBBrennan (Post 1124215)
I am still awaiting to see a hummer, the syrup is evaporating; seems even the ants are not interested.

Great results with the flash Gary..... keep shootin!
____
boBB

Thanks, buddy!

After about 5-6 days, the nectar starts to ferment, Bob, and eventually goes bad. Nothing will touch it. You'll need to change it out at least once a week.

Scouse Jul 31, 2010 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjtoth (Post 1124176)
And, therein lies the rub. Critters have a way of messing up even the best of pre-aimed, pre-focused images. I've tried and tried this method and while I did get some decent captures, they weren't anywhere near what #3 is in the second set. The critter will do SOMETHING to mess up the shot either by not being in exactly the pre-focus area or in some "off" position in the composition. If the glass from the door wouldn't have been in the way, I would have used the hotshoe flash and it would have come out great. But, these guys are a little too skittish right now. I'll give them more time and then shoot outside.

Yeh! I know what you're saying. I had the suet cake hanger in mind. They have to be in one area, if I just opened the DOF a tad I could prolly get decent shots.....maybe.. :)
Ken

gjtoth Jul 31, 2010 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scouse (Post 1124283)
Yeh! I know what you're saying. I had the suet cake hanger in mind. They have to be in one area, if I just opened the DOF a tad I could prolly get decent shots.....maybe.. :)
Ken

I'm not saying that it POSITIVELY won't work, Ken. It's just what I ran into and it frustrated the bejabbers outta me!!