Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   is lowlight for e300 bad? poor? or ok (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/lowlight-e300-bad-poor-ok-82136/)

DorkUnderwater Feb 26, 2006 9:14 PM

i read really good reviews on the e300, except that its not recommended for lowlight users. I probably will have many occasions on which i will be in low light. would this problem be fixed in post processing, or does it even exist and its hype?

Mikefellh Feb 27, 2006 12:58 PM

They usually mean stuff like ability to autofocus in low light, noise in picture at high ISO, etc.

Of course a lot depends on what lens you use on the camera, the 14-45mm kit lens is an F3.5-5.6, but the 50mm lens is an F2 which means you can let in more light (at a more expensive cost of course).

Also, because the E-300 uses a porro-mirror layout (instead of a penta-mirror layout), the viewfinder is darker...that may be another reason.

I've never been in a situation where I couldn't get a shot, I'll use the focus assist beam on the external flash (rather than the strobing that comes from the internal), or use the manual focus, and of course use a tripod. The E-330 may be a little better as it has live view on the monitor, but in my experience with electronic view finders I prefer optical, especially for low light shooting.

jorgen Apr 15, 2006 3:26 PM

1. The e-300 is said not to have the best low-light auto-focus around. However, I don't know if you can find anything better without paying a lot of more money. I have taken a number of handheld low-light photos (mostly parades): usually you can find something at a similar distance to focus at. I have only once had to use manual focus - it was v-e-r-y dark and near impossible to do manually.

2. Secondly, the e-300 is said to be a bit noisy on 800 and 1600 ISO. I clean the photos in Neat Image (though some swear to Noise Ninja) if necessary (if you over- or underexpose, it seems always necessary) with good result. Note that the photos even before cleaning are far better than anything I have ever taken on 800 ASA films, so we probably shouldn't complain. However, if you are a pixel-gazer, you may want to look at other camera makes as well.

Reanimator Apr 16, 2006 8:13 AM

i have used my e300 for night shots and results are really good

deepends what your wanting to do i suppose, mine where shot on manual mode on a tripod as i wanted to catch the light trials etc, maximum exposure is 30 seconds

shot at 100 iso and got noiseless perfectly sharpe images

mtclimber Apr 16, 2006 1:56 PM

The E-300 offers a whole lot for the price. I have been able to consistently get excellent images at ISO 800, if I keep then very slightly underexposed. Night photos are excellent.

MT

Reanimator Apr 16, 2006 2:11 PM

here is a night shot off my e300

http://reanimator.bulldoghome.com/ph...com/canal1.jpg

mtclimber Apr 16, 2006 6:36 PM

reanimator-

That is exactly what I mean. Great photo! That once again, proves rather precisely what a capable camera the E-300 really is.

MT

Reanimator Apr 17, 2006 7:28 AM

the only grumble i have heard the really bothers people is noise at high iso, but as i dont ever intend to shoot at high iso its not something that concerns me at all, i preffer to keep iso to as low as itll go to keep noise out

and i have lived with the e-300 for about 5 months now and cannot fault it at all, bad shots i have taken are due to me not the camera, i moved up from the c4040 and had to re think shots again, mainly to no live preview as i used that lots on c4040, by taking different reading from different places in the shot to see what image would be before i took it.......now i gotta look at final image and see if it needs reshooting by getting light reading somewhere esle or put it on manual and tweak settings one way or another.......:-)

mtclimber Apr 17, 2006 8:34 PM

I consistently shoot at ISO 800 with no problems with my E-300.

MT