Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   Mocking the cold (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/mocking-cold-164148/)

gjtoth Jan 3, 2010 3:52 PM

Mocking the cold
 
EXTREMELY cold here this morning at -4F with the windchill. I really don't know how these guys survive in it. They sure do love that heated water though!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ZLESHeZ0Hyo/S0...0/P1032223.JPG

Hards80 Jan 3, 2010 4:11 PM

great detail on this one.

zig-123 Jan 3, 2010 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjtoth (Post 1035029)
EXTREMELY cold here this morning at -4F with the windchill. I really don't know how these guys survive in it.

Hi Gary,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot tea as I look out the window at various finches taking turns at the feeder.
The snow is falling, the wind howling, temps in the teens and here I am wondering how they can survive through all of it.....Then your post comes along.

By the way,

I like your photo. What have you done differently? The reason I ask is that, (IMHO) it's one of the sharpest that you've posted to date. The feather detail is really good and the color looks very accurate.

All in all, a very good capture.

gjtoth Jan 3, 2010 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1035037)
Hi Gary,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot tea as I look out the window at various finches taking turns at the feeder.
The snow is falling, the wind howling, temps in the teens and here I am wondering how they can survive through all of it.....Then your post comes along.

By the way,

I like your photo. What have you done differently? The reason I ask is that, (IMHO) it's one of the sharpest that you've posted to date. The feather detail is really good and the color looks very accurate.

All in all, a very good capture.

Isn't that weird?! I'm sitting here with a cup o' tea, too!

Thanks!

The only thing I did differently is I'm trying out a some software that JimC recommended called, "DigiKam". Obviously, it works a trick. Originally for Linux, there is now a version that can be used in Windows or Mac. You can find it at http://www.digikam.org Well-worth a test drive.

zig-123 Jan 3, 2010 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjtoth (Post 1035040)

The only thing I did differently is I'm trying out a some software that JimC recommended called, "DigiKam". Obviously, it works a trick. Originally for Linux, there is now a version that can be used in Windows or Mac. You can find it at http://www.digikam.org Well-worth a test drive.

Thanks for the tip and the link. Based on your results, it's definitely worth a look see.

Hards80 Jan 3, 2010 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1035037)
Hi Gary,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sitting here drinking a cup of hot tea as I look out the window at various finches taking turns at the feeder.
The snow is falling, the wind howling, temps in the teens and here I am wondering how they can survive through all of it.....Then your post comes along.

By the way,

I like your photo. What have you done differently? The reason I ask is that, (IMHO) it's one of the sharpest that you've posted to date. The feather detail is really good and the color looks very accurate.

All in all, a very good capture.

yea. it does look cleaner and smoother than many. whatever you did here, really worked out Gary.

gjtoth Jan 3, 2010 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1035051)
yea. it does look cleaner and smoother than many. whatever you did here, really worked out Gary.

Thanks very much for the input. Looks like DigiKam is the way to fly for me. It really is quite a comprehensive piece of software. Excellent workflow!

turbines Jan 4, 2010 10:48 AM

Your results are impressive. I tried the KDE Windows version and was disappointed there was no uninstaller. I experienced a number of crashes on startup on my XP machine and it all had to be removed manually. I may give it a try again on my Linux platform.

gjtoth Jan 4, 2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbines (Post 1035326)
Your results are impressive. I tried the KDE Windows version and was disappointed there was no uninstaller. I experienced a number of crashes on startup on my XP machine and it all had to be removed manually. I may give it a try again on my Linux platform.

I think there is a separate installer for it, Turbines. I didn't look that closely. It's well-worth taking a close look at.

Walter_S Jan 5, 2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjtoth (Post 1035029)
EXTREMELY cold here this morning ...

Extremely cold here, you say - I say, EXTREMELY good shot with perfect Bokeh and very clean overall look of your pp as well. One of the best detailed pictures I have seen for a while!

Cheers!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:39 PM.