Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   Panny's answer to the EP-1 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/pannys-answer-ep-1-a-159279/)

tkurkowski Sep 3, 2009 2:51 PM

Panny's answer to the EP-1
 
is here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/09/panasonic_lumix_dmcgf1_hands_on_preview.php

Still no optical viewfinder, though. But they are also introducing a 4/3 45mm f/2.8 macro that's a Panny-Leica.
I forget - can you mount a 4/3 on an Oly 4/3 body?

Ted

dwig Sep 3, 2009 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 997765)
...
Still no optical viewfinder...

They have an eyelevel electronic finder as an optional accessory. It even tilts, something rather difficult to do with an optical. Its also vastly more accurate than any optical would be, not to mention that the one finder works with all lenses.

dnas Sep 3, 2009 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 997765)
is here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/09/panasonic_lumix_dmcgf1_hands_on_preview.php

Still no optical viewfinder, though. But they are also introducing a 4/3 45mm f/2.8 macro that's a Panny-Leica.
I forget - can you mount a 4/3 on an Oly 4/3 body?

Ted

You cannot mount 4/3 on an Oly 4/3 body

There is also a new 4/3 20mm F1.7 lens.

zig-123 Sep 4, 2009 5:37 AM

Hi Ted,
Thanks for the heads up. I took a quick read of the preview. Sounds like the Panasonic research and development team have overcome the AF speed issues that have been inherent in this type of design.

I'm going to be looking forward to reading their full blown review as well as how Olympus responds with their own solution in their next release.
Zig

tkurkowski Sep 4, 2009 6:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwig (Post 997858)
They have an eyelevel electronic finder as an optional accessory. It even tilts, something rather difficult to do with an optical. Its also vastly more accurate than any optical would be, not to mention that the one finder works with all lenses.

By the time you add the finder you're not getting a camera you can slip in most pockets, so it's not looking all that much more compact than a real 4/3 DSLR.

dnas Sep 4, 2009 6:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 997933)
Hi Ted,
Thanks for the heads up. I took a quick read of the preview. Sounds like the Panasonic research and development team have overcome the AF speed issues that have been inherent in this type of design.

Panasonic had the AF issue overcome a year ago when they released the G1.

dwig Sep 4, 2009 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 997947)
... than a real 4/3 DSLR.

There is no such thing. The design of the 4/3 system precludes SLR designs. They have no reflex mirror and associated focusing screen and prism. They are therefore not Single Lens Reflex (SLR, or DSLR) cameras.

The difference between the first two Pana models, the G-1 and GH-1, and the "Flat" design, Pana GF-1 and Oly E-P1, is that the former have built in eyelevel EVFs in addition to trear LCD panels. The "flat" designs have only the rear LCD or optional removable eyelevel VFs mounted in the flash shoe. The Oly only supports optical VFs while the GF-1 supports both optical and electronic.

The GF-1's advantage over the G-1/GH-1 approach is that you can have the eyelevel finder when you want it and can remove it when you need a more compact configuration. With the G-1/GH-1 you are stuck with always having the bulk of the EVF. You pays your money and makes your choice.

tkurkowski Sep 4, 2009 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwig (Post 998047)
There is no such thing. The design of the 4/3 system precludes SLR designs. They have no reflex mirror and associated focusing screen and prism. They are therefore not Single Lens Reflex (SLR, or DSLR) cameras.

The difference between the first two Pana models, the G-1 and GH-1, and the "Flat" design, Pana GF-1 and Oly E-P1, is that the former have built in eyelevel EVFs in addition to trear LCD panels. The "flat" designs have only the rear LCD or optional removable eyelevel VFs mounted in the flash shoe. The Oly only supports optical VFs while the GF-1 supports both optical and electronic.

The GF-1's advantage over the G-1/GH-1 approach is that you can have the eyelevel finder when you want it and can remove it when you need a more compact configuration. With the G-1/GH-1 you are stuck with always having the bulk of the EVF. You pays your money and makes your choice.

I do understand that. The point is that there are a lot of us photographers who don't want to use Live View to compose and focus images - we prefer to hold the camera in a traditional way - up against our faces - to get an image that is held steady.

So as I see it the 4/3 protocol will be separating the traditional photographers, from the younger ones who are used to holding their cell phones out at arm's length and generally not getting very well-focused images, in my experience. But for the folks who can do that well, the 4/3 protocol will be attractive. Not for me, or for a lot of the folks on this forum.

The 4/3 non-DSLR cams should work well for folks who want wide-angle images in daylight (the lenses are pretty slow) - the short 4/3 lenses will do fine for that. If that's what folks want to do, they'll be fine with holding the cam out at arm's length and getting focused images. That's just not what I do.

Ted

dnas Sep 5, 2009 4:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 998055)
I do understand that. The point is that there are a lot of us photographers who don't want to use Live View to compose and focus images - we prefer to hold the camera in a traditional way - up against our faces - to get an image that is held steady.

So as I see it the 4/3 protocol will be separating the traditional photographers, from the younger ones who are used to holding their cell phones out at arm's length and generally not getting very well-focused images, in my experience. But for the folks who can do that well, the 4/3 protocol will be attractive. Not for me, or for a lot of the folks on this forum.

The 4/3 non-DSLR cams should work well for folks who want wide-angle images in daylight (the lenses are pretty slow) - the short 4/3 lenses will do fine for that. If that's what folks want to do, they'll be fine with holding the cam out at arm's length and getting focused images. That's just not what I do.

Ted

I'm not sure if you understand the Panasonic G1 & GH1 4/3 cameras.

They have an EVF that allows you to hold the camera up to your face. In fact, I do this almost 100% of the time!!!!

As for slow lenses, I bought the G1 mainly so I could use old fast lenses, including Canon FL/FD(e.g. FD 50mm F1.4 SSC) , Minolta MC/MD (e.g. 85mm F2), Nikon, Konica, Pentax, Olympus OM, etc....

dwig Sep 5, 2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 998055)
I do understand that. ...
The 4/3 non-DSLR cams s...

You obviously don't have a full grasp of the 4/3 format. ALL 4/3 cameras are "non-DSLR", period.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:27 PM.