Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   A sample shots with the 14-54mm (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/sample-shots-14-54mm-181225/)

gjtoth Dec 10, 2010 5:54 PM

A sample shots with the 14-54mm
 
For some reason, I get a light red cast on the black velvet when using this lens. It's a relatively easy fix with results like this.

http://toths.us/Piwigo/upload/2010/1...2-f0f52055.jpg

No problem whatsoever against the white background.

http://toths.us/Piwigo/upload/2010/1...7-d71daf72.jpg

http://toths.us/Piwigo/upload/2010/1...2-d8679503.jpg

And, it's certainly not too shabby as a macro lens

http://toths.us/Piwigo/upload/2010/1...7-6f0a5bee.jpg

John King Dec 10, 2010 6:19 PM

WB problem?
 
G'day again Gary

That's a minor WB problem IMHO.
Camera WB being fooled by the totally black background?

gjtoth Dec 10, 2010 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 1176782)
G'day again Gary

That's a minor WB problem IMHO.
Camera WB being fooled by the totally black background?

That's EXACTLY what I thought, too. I've tried them all. AutoWB comes out cleanest but still has that red tinge on the black. I think I'm going to do a reset on the camera and see of that helps.

boBBrennan Dec 10, 2010 6:32 PM

....I did not see this before posting to the arrival note. Are you saying that the BLACK of the photo has a red cast to it or that the entire photo is red cast if using a black backdrop.

I've used the black velvet several times with the 14-54 / E-3 & E-300, perhaps it would be due to lighting. I usually use a flash (STOFEN) diffused.

Too, dialing in some +EV can intensify the black, with auto WB it will aid to clean up the overall result.

Didn't mean to be a smart.$$ with that first reply in the other post.
____
boBB

John King Dec 10, 2010 6:46 PM

Saturation setting?
 
G'day again mate

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjtoth (Post 1176786)
That's EXACTLY what I thought, too. I've tried them all. AutoWB comes out cleanest but still has that red tinge on the black. I think I'm going to do a reset on the camera and see of that helps.

Don't be too quick on the camera reset.

Check Picture Mode.

If set to VIVID, set to NATURAL. With my E-30 I use NATURAL, SATURATION = -2. This seems to work well. I can't remember what body/bodies you have :doh: ...

Just checked, E-620. Probably the same as my E-30, default saturation was more than I could take, lol ...

gjtoth Dec 10, 2010 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boBBrennan (Post 1176789)
....I did not see this before posting to the arrival note. Are you saying that the BLACK of the photo has a red cast to it or that the entire photo is red cast if using a black backdrop.

I've used the black velvet several times with the 14-54 / E-3 & E-300, perhaps it would be due to lighting. I usually use a flash (STOFEN) diffused.

Too, dialing in some +EV can intensify the black, with auto WB it will aid to clean up the overall result.

Didn't mean to be a smart.$$ with that first reply in the other post.
____
boBB

It *seems* to be just over the black, Bob. I'm going to do as John suggests. If that doesn't work, I'll do a reset.

gjtoth Dec 10, 2010 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 1176791)
G'day again mate



Don't be too quick on the camera reset.

Check Picture Mode.

If set to VIVID, set to NATURAL. With my E-30 I use NATURAL, SATURATION = -2. This seems to work well. I can't remember what body/bodies you have :doh: ...

Just checked, E-620. Probably the same as my E-30, default saturation was more than I could take, lol ...

Thanks, John. I'll give that a go.

zig-123 Dec 10, 2010 7:44 PM

The samples you've posted look quite sharp and very detailed. Quite nice for just messing around.


Just a quick suggestion:
The E-620 has the ability for the user to set a custom WB setting for instant recall-as does the E-30. Not sure if you're aware of that, Gary. But once you determine the correct Kelvin temp., you can then set the Custom WB to that value. Then, whenever you need to, it can be recalled thru the super control panel.

Zig

(you probably already knew that, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case)

gjtoth Dec 10, 2010 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1176802)
The samples you've posted look quite sharp and very detailed. Quite nice for just messing around.


Just a quick suggestion:
The E-620 has the ability for the user to set a custom WB setting for instant recall-as does the E-30. Not sure if you're aware of that, Gary. But once you determine the correct Kelvin temp., you can then set the Custom WB to that value. Then, whenever you need to, it can be recalled thru the super control panel.

Zig

(you probably already knew that, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case)

Thanks, Zig. I was aware of that, as you say but that doesn't mean someone else was. I've learned so much here by OTHER PEOPLE asking questions I was too new to ask. Information here NEVER goes to waste.

gjtoth Dec 10, 2010 9:36 PM

Follow-up:

I did a reset on the camera. The red tinge is no more. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.