Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   Should I get a E-520 ? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/should-i-get-e-520-a-169262/)

stickboy2k Apr 16, 2010 10:37 AM

Should I get a E-520 ?

After looking at MANY cameras and sample pics I put the E520 on my short list along with a couple canons and a couple bridge cameras.
Also was waiting on a decent deal on a camera to pop up.

Well, today I saw the 520 kit with the 18-42 lens at Dell.com for 399$ with shipping.

All in all not a super hot deal, but compared to other cameras in the range D3000, Canon XS this seems like the best bang for the buck.

I have poured over sample pics and feel good about what the camera can do.

One question is this. I have a 200mm lense for the Canon EOS that could be used on a Canon. Can I get a converter to use this on the Oly?

The only thing I dont like about the 520 is the CF XD formats. YUK!

dugger13 Apr 16, 2010 11:33 AM

i think the oly 520 and 2 lens kit 14-42 and 40-150 is around 400 right now. you should look for that kit if you are going to buy.
i am new to dslr but have that kit and love it.

stickboy2k Apr 16, 2010 1:19 PM

I heard that deal was at some Sam's clubs but haven't been able to find it.
That price for the 2 lens kit is a great deal. If I find it I will jump on it.

tkurkowski Apr 16, 2010 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy2k (Post 1080738)

One question is this. I have a 200mm lense for the Canon EOS that could be used on a Canon. Can I get a converter to use this on the Oly?

You can get an adapter but you won't be happy with the result. The flange distance on a 4/3 mount is such that a Canon lens plus 4/3 adapter puts the rear of the lens too far away from the imager to focus to infinity. As far as I know, only Canon lenses have this problem.

But the micro43 flange distance is shorter. I believe you can get Canon lenses to focus to infinity on micro43 cameras.

Ted

Hards80 Apr 16, 2010 1:25 PM

The E520 is a bit limiting compared to the XS and the D3000. It has a truncated dynamic range and cannot compete at higher ISO's.

If you like Olympus. It is worth saving up a little more money and getting the E-620, which is a much more capable camera.

Hards80 Apr 16, 2010 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkurkowski (Post 1080805)
You can get an adapter but you won't be happy with the result. The flange distance on a 4/3 mount is such that a Canon lens plus 4/3 adapter puts the rear of the lens too far away from the imager to focus to infinity. As far as I know, only Canon lenses have this problem.

But the micro43 flange distance is shorter. I believe you can get Canon lenses to focus to infinity on micro43 cameras.

Ted

the problem with EOS lenses on any converter is they have no aperture control. Making them all but useless.

zig-123 Apr 16, 2010 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1080807)
The E520 is a bit limiting compared to the XS and the D3000. It has a truncated dynamic range and cannot compete at higher ISO's.

If you like Olympus. It is worth saving up a little more money and getting the E-620, which is a much more capable camera.

Dustin is correct in that the E--520 is somewhat limiting as compared to the newer DSLR cameras i.e. the E-600, E-620, and the E-30.

If your budget is limited and you'd like to get a really great deal, you may consider picking up a factory refurbished model E-600 complete with the 2 kit lenses from Adorama priced at 489.00.

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/IOME600K1R.html

The E-600 is a slightly stripped down version of the E-620. Primarily it lacks 3 of the art filters and backlit buttons. It does have a superior sensor, AF system and better dynamic range to the E-520.I believe that cameras refurbished by the manufacturer come with a factory new equip. warranty. But you should check with Adorama. If you' not familiar with the company, they are an online company that has a good reputation

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig

stickboy2k Apr 16, 2010 1:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1080807)

That is good to know. Thx.

Hards80 Apr 16, 2010 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1080822)
Dustin is correct in that the E--520 is somewhat limiting as compared to the newer DSLR cameras i.e. the E-600, E-620, and the E-30.

If your budget is limited and you'd like to get a really great deal, you may consider picking up a factory refurbished model E-600 complete with the 2 kit lenses from Adorama priced at 489.00.

The E-600 is a slightly stripped down version of the E-620. Primarily it lacks 3 of the art filters and backlit buttons. It does have a superior sensor, AF system and better dynamic range to the E-520.I believe that cameras refurbished by the manufacturer come with a factory new equip. warranty. But you should check with Adorama. If you' not familiar with the company, they are an online company that has a good reputation

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Zig

that is a great suggestion Zig. and 489 is a steal for that camera.

FredS Apr 16, 2010 2:37 PM

I got an E-520 with the 2 lense kit , with an 8 GB card
used, almost 3 weeks ago. Excellent condition ( under 250 pictures )
I paid less than the price of a bridge camera ( A Noise Master FZ 35 ) lol

So far I am VERY happy with it.

If you can get the E-520 with the 2 lense kit for around $ 400.00 Scoop it up.
Just my opinion

zig-123 Apr 16, 2010 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredS (Post 1080859)
I got an E-520 with the 2 lense kit , with an 8 GB card
used, almost 3 weeks ago. Excellent condition ( under 250 pictures )
I paid less than the price of a bridge camera ( A Noise Master FZ 35 ) lol

So far I am VERY happy with it.

If you can get the E-520 with the 2 lense kit for around $ 400.00 Scoop it up.
Just my opinion

Hi Fred,

Congrats on picking up an Oly dslr and glad to hear that your pleased with the E-520. It is indeed a good camera and, if you could find one with the 2 kit lenses @ 400bucks that would be a fine deal. Trouble was that I couldn't find that kit available for that price anywhere.
The E-600 complete wit the 2 kit lenses @489bucks is just simply a steal.

Now, that you've got an E-520, I hope you'll post some images in the near future.

Zig

HelenOster Apr 19, 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1080822)
......you may consider picking up a factory refurbished model E-600 complete with the 2 kit lenses from Adorama priced at 489.00.

..........cameras refurbished by the manufacturer come with a factory new equip. warranty. But you should check with Adorama. If you're not familiar with the company, they are an online company that has a good reputation.......

The refurbished Olympus comes with a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.

Let me know if you need any additional info!

mtclimber Apr 21, 2010 10:57 PM

I am rather amazed that after an excellent suggestion from Zig-

...that nobody has stepped up and at least agreed with the great value he researched and located on the Olympus E-600. Perhaps the 90 Olympus warranty, typical for a refurbished camera, has folks worried??

You can always put a Four Square or Mack warranty on the purchase to provide an extended warranty.

Sarah Joyce

zig-123 Apr 22, 2010 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1083489)
I am rather amazed that after an excellent suggestion from Zig-

...that nobody has stepped up and at least agreed with the great value he researched and located on the Olympus E-600. Perhaps the 90 Olympus warranty, typical for a refurbished camera, has folks worried??

You can always put a Four Square or Mack warranty on the purchase to provide an extended warranty.

Sarah Joyce

Interesting that you bring that up, Sarah as the total lack of response puzzled me. To be fair, Dustin did comment on the great price-which I thought it was, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting it.

The E-600 with two very good lenses covering a focal range of 28mm to 300mm all for under 500bucks. THAT'S AN AMAZING BARGAIN!!!

Perhaps, some folks did take advantage of it and just didn't bother to respond. Go figure?

Zig

mtclimber Apr 22, 2010 11:07 PM

Well, Zig-

I could not resist. I found a deal at Cameta Camera that offered the E-600 with the Oly 14-42mm kit lens with a full 1 year guarantee for $387.50. I already have the 40-150mm lens so it was not a big deal. It will take 7-10 days to receive it vis UPS because I am located on the west coast of the USA.

I will post some photos when I receive the E-600. To me, it was a deal that I could not pass up.

Sarah Joyce

Hards80 Apr 23, 2010 1:17 AM

i am wondering if some people are not putting the connection together that the e600 and e620 are for all practical purposes the same camera, i mean are you really going to miss 3 art filters and button changes.

so ppl, just to reiterate. this is basically a "e-620" for sub500USD, or if you get some crazy bargain like sarah, under 400.

heck i would almost buy it for 388 and i really don't need another camera.

tkurkowski Apr 23, 2010 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1083948)
heck i would almost buy it for 388 and i really don't need another camera.

I was thinking the same thing - I need another camera like a submarine needs a screen door, but it really is an amazing deal.

Ted

Ancientritual Apr 23, 2010 10:33 AM

The bottom line is any OLY DSLR in the $400.00 USD range will be far better then any P&S or bridge camera. This is the nature of the beast. Sure there might be some limitations as far as ISO range, but 1600 is far better then 400. Plus the 14-42mm kit lens is rated pretty high compared to other kit lens. If you can pick up deals like above, then go for it.

mtclimber Apr 23, 2010 11:21 AM

That is what I felt as well. It was a bargain that should not be overlooked. I did not need another camera, but I relished the challenge of demonstrating the E-600 was a pretty good camera, and worth every bit of the price.

I will, as I noted previously, look forward to receiving the camera and will post some photos straight away.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Steven R Apr 23, 2010 9:56 PM

One possible reason that you didn't see a lot of response to the E-600 deal:
I know that the E-600 is a great bargain, but I already have 3 bodies that all use the BLM-1 battery. I have 5 BLM-1 batteries, that I keep charged and in my camera bag, ready to go no matter which body I grab.

While I was really tempted when the E-620/600 first came out, I couldn't see adding another 4/3rds that would have a completely different battery system (and charger) that's not usable in any of my other cameras. If I give in and get another body, it will most likely be an E-30 or the E-3 successor.

So while the E-600 bargain, there may be others like me who would have to pass.

For someone who doesn't already own other 4/3rd bodies, they should grab that camera deal, because it is a great deal for the quality and price.