Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Olympus dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/)
-   -   shutter/mirror control (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/shutter-mirror-control-94072/)

the57man Jul 1, 2006 1:58 AM

I have been trying to take decent pictures of the moon at night. I have an Evolt 300 and a 50-200 digital zuiko lens and a 1.4 tele converter EC-14. I read an aticle that a guy took some nice pictures of the moon at night useing the sunny 16 rule. He also mentioned a 4 second delay between the shutter and the mirror. He was using the same E-300 camera. How is he doing this. It appaently helps in the picture sharpness. Also, any suggestions on taking general night sky shots. Thanks

Mikefellh Jul 1, 2006 7:55 AM

For the E-300 you want to look in ShootingMenu2 for a setting called "AntiShock"; this is their name for mirror lock. Most of the time it is set to OFF, but you can set it to a specific number of seconds to lock up the mirror before the picture is taken. Just remember to turn it off after.

Some other tricks is using an IR RM-1 remote to trigger the camera (up to 30 seconds), or you'll have to buy the HLD-3 and RM-CB1 to shoot in "bulb" mode allowing you pictures up to 8 minutes.

Another setting you may want to turn on is the noise reduction...this will take a second black frame after taking the picture...this lenghthens the time it takes to take a picture, but it will reduce the amount of hot pixels in an image.

the57man Jul 1, 2006 2:14 PM

Thanks, that helps!! Have a great day, Dave

Greg Chappell Jul 1, 2006 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You shouldn't need to raise the mirror to get sharp shots of the moon. At ISO 400, a perfectly acceptable rating with the E-300,my typical moon exposure wouldstart at1/400 [email protected] f11- which is pretty darn close to using the "sunny 16" rule described above, bracketing around 1 stop either way to get the "right" amount of detail. As you vary either thef-stop or shutter speed you'll see the difference- just choose which looks better to you. Raising the mirror is a good idea if you're talking about shots at aslower shutter speedthan 1/125 sec at the tele end of the 50-200 zoom.

The threshhold shutter speed at which you need to go to a tripodand lock your mirror up depends as to how steady you are at hand-holding your camera. Also, remember that atISO 400,1/400 sec @f11 is the same exposure as 1/1600 sec at f5.6. You don't need a small f-stop setting to shoot the moon, so open the lens up and shoot at a faster shutter speed. If you are trying this at ISO 100, instead of using 1/125 sec at f16, shoot at 1/500 sec at f8, or even 1/1000 @ f5.6. It's all the same exposure- at over 200,000 miles away, the moon doesn't need f16 to be sharp!

Attached image shot @ ISO 400, 1/400 sec at f11, handheld andsubstantially cropped afterwardsto make it full frame, then re-sized for posting here.