Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
I did not know the E-500 had a remote cable release.
Well, that's because it DOESN'T!

If you wanted to do remote control of the E-500 there's an INFRARED remote for it, the RM-1...it also does bulb by pressing T to open the shutter and W to close it (when the E-500 is in bulb mode).

The only way (without rigging something up yourself) to control the camera by cable is to tether it to a computer via USB and use Olympus Studio software.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:33 PM   #12

Hi there...I am new here and new to the E-500......I took this shot of the moon Sept.4/06 using the 45-150mm kit lens.....

Attached Images

Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:06 AM   #13

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did not know the E-500 had a remote cable release.
Well, that's because it DOESN'T!

If you wanted to do remote control of the E-500 there's an INFRARED remote for it, the RM-1...it also does bulb by pressing T to open the shutter and W to close it (when the E-500 is in bulb mode).

The only way (without rigging something up yourself) to control the camera by cable is to tether it to a computer via USB and use Olympus Studio software.

Sorry guys, your 100% correct Mikefellh. My mind was somewhere else while posting.. Actually, I was thinking about rigging up an old 800mm mirrored lens to the e500 and seeing what results I get..

Sorry all, its like Mikefellh said. Its an infrared remote. Picked it up on ebay for $9.50 plus $5 shipping.

Definetly something worth having it you really want to advoid camera shake
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:49 PM   #14

I have ordered a remote,but I am sure I read in the advanced manual that you have to use the blank they supply to blank out the viewfinder when using the remote,as it will let light through.Iam a novice on this camera,so I might be wrong,but thank you all for the tips on moonshots.You would think that with all the advances with digital that you could shoot what you can see with the naked eye,for instance last night in the UK ,I looked outside Full moon,I could see the colour of the roses,the pine tree,full moon and a blue sky but there is no way I could capture that on any camera,Regards Alan
atcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:07 AM   #15

You would need to enlarge the dynamic range enormously to catch all that. If the moon is not to be a white blob, you need an expusure in the magnitude of 1/125 f8 at ISO 100. The landscape would need significantly longer exposure.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:10 AM   #16

I used Tat2dGuy's tips for the moon shot,E500:150mm kit lens:manual exp:apt 4.5:Exp 1/100.It is nowhere near perfect,but at least it is not a white blob,which is what I used to get.
Attached Images

atcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:09 PM   #17

NOt to bad at all.. Play around with some different exposure times, you'll notice that 1/100 is just a starting point. Depending on the moon phase and where your located, that will surely change some. I know, some of my best shot have come from far up in the mountains away from all the city lights/noise.

Now, only if we both could get our hands on one of those 500mm oly lens :P

Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote