Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:07 PM   #1

Anyone got any tips for getting good moon shots on the E500 using the kit lenses,I am new to DSLR having owned the Kyocera M410R,still got it as a backup
atcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:34 PM   #2

Good question...I would like to know myself, having the same set up...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:58 AM   #3

The kit lenses are not long enough. You need something like a 500 mm lens (you will still have to zoom a bit digitally in PhotoShop afterwards) or a telescope.

The moon will sometimes appear large while low over the horizon (you will get some atmospheric disturbance) as in the attached photo: e-300 with the good old Tamron 500/f8 mirror lens with the OM-adapter. Funnily enough: avoid the full moon as the craters look at their best in the area between day and night on the surface.

Shutter speed is not a problem: somewhere between 1/100 and 1/200 at ISO 100, using exposure compensation -0.70 (ESP measuring) as far as I remember.

Attached Images

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:38 AM   #4

Impressive! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:04 AM   #5

Thanks very much Jorgen,that is certainly very impressive.I do'nt want close up shots,I just want something more than a bright white blob when I am doing landscapes
atcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:13 AM   #6

Hmmm, then the moon will always be overexposed and become a dot unless you underexpose the landscape to a silhouette: bracket a lot.

Either extend the dynamic range of the photo by reading some of these links http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=pho...al&fr=moz2 or http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11251531 or easier, "cheat": take two pictures on a tripod, one with the moon correctly exposed and one with the landscape correctly exposed. Copy the moon from the first and dump it on the second.

(actually, this is not cheating; you are compensating for the lack of dyndamic range).

Thanks for the comments on the moon photo. However, no magic, neither in technique, nor composition; the only quality you need to possess is being the happy owner of a l-o-n-g lens and a tripod.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:32 PM   #7

What Jorgen said. You'll never be able to expose the moon and landscape properly without under or overexposing the other. People have made double exposures for years with film. Do the same with digital, but it can be much easier with digital. Make several good exposures of the moon at different stages. Re-size anduse them in scenes where it makes sense, like the one below. Could anything be more appropriate than a church clock tower that says "Night Cometh"?
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:52 PM   #8

Gear Used: E500, 1500mm kit lens, sturdy tripod, remote cable release.

Setting the e500 to iso100, manual exposure, apture 4.5, exposure 1/100sec, heres the result.

Please note this photo was also cropped down in size for the fact, the 150mm lens doesnt have the reach to make a full photo. Also, I usually shoot my moon shots in monotone color as well.

Just an example and this shot was taken last nite.

TIP: If you dont have the remote cable release, I would suggest setting the cameras timer on the 2sec of 12sec release. This way any camera shake is taken out of your photo.

Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:28 AM   #9

Tat2dGuy,

Am I missing something here. I did not know the E-500 had a remote cable release. Can you steer me in the right direction?
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:05 AM   #10
oel

Old Jim wrote:
Quote:
Tat2dGuy,

Am I missing something here. I did not know the E-500 had a remote cable release. Can you steer me in the right direction?
Me too Please

Thanks
oel is offline   Reply With Quote