Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1

My wife and I are going on a two week tour of Italy . We will be traveling (bus tour) quite a bit. Staying mostly in the main cities, but also touring into the country side and staying on the coast near Sorrento.

I care more for scenic shots, but will not pass up an interesting candid either. However, I like to travel light and would like to limit my kit to one (or a maximum) of two lenses.

I have the Oly E330, and the following lenses: 11-22, 14-54, 18-180, 40-150 and the EC1.4.

Any suggestions - possibly from people who have been there?

Thanks, Steve
Swandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:15 PM   #2

I don't think there is any scenario that you should decide to take the one lens that tempts you most to take italone....the 18-180. IT IS NOT WIDE ENOUGH!!!.

Any combination (and you do need to take TWO lenses) should include the 11-22. In your position I would take it and the 40-150. That combination will be your best combination of coverage and image quality. If you deicde to take the 18-180 you will find yourself in situations of being in tightly spaced street scenes and/or churches or other buildings, inside and out, where you want to go wider than the 36mm equivalent the 18mm setting of that lens gives you, and at f2.8 you get both wide angle coverage and speed at 11mm.

Never leave your widest lens at home while on vacation. You will regret it if you do.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:23 PM   #3

I agree with Greg. The towns in Italy (like in Spain in which I live) have narrow streets and you need the 14mm for these. If you only want to bring one lens, you should go for the 14-54.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions.

I never seriously considered just the 18-180 (though I did just that in Florida to test out the lens when I first got it.) I really like it - no it is not as sharp as some others but it is very compact and I don't think any 10x zoom can be compared to other lenses with less zoom range. But is is very slow and from what I have heard alot of the more famous buildings in Italy - especially the churches - do not allow any use of flash.

I also agree that for scenics, the 18 wide end (36 equivalent in 35mm) is not wide enough.

Steve
Swandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:52 PM   #5

We were in Paris this past May. One of the day trips we took was to Versailles, which was over-run that day with some of the most pushy, hard to shoot around tourists I've ever dealt with. One of the areas you could take pictures of was the Opera, the King's private church, but only through a couple of doors upstairs and down, so you had to get up to the front to shoot and not include bodies everywhere, meaning unless you had a wide lens you weren't going to get a good overallview of the"room". The other image isof a room that was packed with people looking up, but I was able to angle my lens up and include just a painting on one wall and the ceiling above.
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:53 PM   #6

here's the second image of the painting and ceiling.

TAKE YOUR WIDE ANGLE LENS!
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:21 PM   #7

I was in Rome just last month..and one lens you really really need is the 11-22 ! the rest is upto you..but for pure ease of use i would have kept the 18-180

but beware in rome..dont carry a very obvious camera bag as there are some pretty innovative ways of bag/camera snatching there.
sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:36 PM   #8

Concerning the "bag snatching"

That would be a wonderful thread to read.

[email protected] if possible would you start a thread on such as I ( and others) would like to know what to watch out for as we travel.

ooops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:28 AM   #9

yeah I think the 11-22 as well, I love wide

as for keeping it safe try to leave the kit home
I use the paparazzi method of concealment
I wear a black shirt which conceals the camera strap
and put a lightweight jacket on over the top
idealy the jacket has enough pockets for filters batteries and flash

you will occasionaly think wow if I only had "?" with me,
but travelling light releases you from a lot of burdens

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote