Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:24 AM   #1

I saw that there is a battery grip available for the olympus e 300, i was just wondering if anyone knew if that grip would also work for the e 500 model.Also if anyone had any preferences between the e 300 and the e 500. Thanks for the help

Aaron
abieleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:38 AM   #2

Quote:
I saw that there is a battery grip available for the olympus e 300, i was just wondering if anyone knew if that grip would also work for the e 500 model.
No, the grip ONLY works on E-300...it doesn't even work on E-330!

Quote:
Also if anyone had any preferences between the e 300 and the e 500.
It's a personal thing, I prefer the smaller style of the E-300, so I chose it over the E-1 (at the time there was no E-500)...also the E-300 was lighter than the E-1. Today I'd probably choose the E-330 because of its live view, although I'd miss the grip and the cable release capability that only the E-300 and E-1 have.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:54 PM   #3

thanks for the info, i like the lcd on the e 500 but the battery grip would be nice. using the cable release would allow me to keep the shutter open for an indeterminate amount of time correct, without holding down the shutter button or remote button correct?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

You should do some reading before deciding. For instance with the IR remote (RM-1) you don't need to hold down the button...with the E-500 set on bulb mode you press T on the remote to open the shutter, and W on the remote to close the shutter (or the shutter will close after 8 minutes).

You may want to do some reading here:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:45 AM   #5

well that would be a nice feature to have. I had an olympus c 8080 with remote, but i had to hold the button for long exposures, real pain in the thumb, plus then sometimes theifrared would showup in the pictures.The grip and extra battery life wouldbe nice, but so is the larger lcd.i've been reading up on thee 300, the e 330, and the e 500,just trying to make up my mind. Thanks a lot for the input, its very helpful.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:07 AM   #6

Well, an E battery when new can deliver 400 shots...if you going somewhere where there was no power then I'd be concerned with the extra shots (then again you could just pop in another BLM-1 into the camera instead).

My preference for the grip is more for portrait shooting (the extra shutter button), and to add balance to the camera (and of course on the E-300 the ability to use the cable remote).
Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:25 AM   #7

I didn't know there was an extra shutter button on the battery grip, that could be very useful. Do you know a site that i could research the battery grip? I would like to get an idea of the size of the camera overall, see if there is a tripod mount and whatnot. If the remote functions by seperately opening and closing the shutter, what function does the cable release serve? sorry for all the questions, very indescisive and want to get the right camera.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 6:00 AM   #8

There IS a tripod mount on the HLD-3. In addition to the shutter button there's the socket for the RM-CB1, two batteries, and a lock switch that disables the second shutter.

When I was researching the grip what I did was go to Google Images and type in the following:
HLD-3
and
HLD-3 E-300

Here's a nice pic of the E-300 battery compartment (the three gold contacts are for the shutter, the silver ones above are the batter connection, and the round part is a spring):
http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/olympus/e300/vidbat1m.jpg

There's a silver latch you pull on the hinge to remove the battery door, and the battery door is then stored in the section of the grip that goes into the camera.

The grip though isn't perfect...it's as if the person who designed the grip portion never saw the E-300, so the grip of the HLD-3 is physically different than the grip of the camera (my primary complaint about it).
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:54 PM   #9

Just to cover this question:

Quote:
If the remote functions by seperately opening and closing the shutter, what function does the cable release serve?
Well, the IR remote only works in bulb mode on the E-500 and E-330...on the E-300 the IR remote DOESN'T activate bulb mode, you need the cable remote for that.