Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2006, 11:09 PM   #1

:? Forgive me if I sound un-knowledgeable about this camera:?....I am still very new to this camera......I'm wondering how I would be able to tell if the lens was not focussing right/correctly........how close can I get to my subject using this lens and still have it focus, and can I use the camera's built in macro settings, or do I use that setting if I have a macro lens attached...Thanks......pls don't laugh at my not knowing.....I admit readily I am in over my head, but I want to learn...:|
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:15 AM   #2

It says it right on the lens, for the 40-150mm it's 1.5m/4.9ft-(infinty).

The built in Macro setting only sets the exposure settings best for closeup shooting (mainly to help those who aren't so experienced). To get closer you need either:
- a closeup lens (sometimes called closeup filters or diopters)
- an extention tube (EX-25)
- a macro lens (like the 35mm or 50mm)
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:58 AM   #3

Thanks....I just wanted to make sure as someone I know has this camera as well and he had trouble with that lens......I figured it was me and not the lens.:lol: Do you have a reccomendation for a simple but concise book for learning about this type of photography?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:27 PM   #4

Most lenses will say the range that it covers...if it doesn't have a range dial like the 14-54mm it will have it printed on it, like the 14-45mm which says, ".38m/1.3ft-(infinity)".

You may want to consider a video specifically on the E-500 to learn more about it:
http://tinyurl.com/zru79

Personally I've used a (different) video for my E-300, and it has helped me get used to it quicker.

As for books on a particular type of photography I recommend a trip to the library and see what they have...there have been many books on general closeup photography (albeit for film cameras, just ignore the parts about film and using filters to correct for colour).

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 5:02 PM   #5

OK, Mike.....LOL I had to laugh at my statement "this type of photography".... I am by no means new to picture taking.....I have had many film camea and this is my 4th digital....what I meant was a good, concise book on photpgraphy itself....so that I can learn I am used to the point & shoot type camera. The library is a good idea, but I would prefer to have my own as it will take me a long time to go through the book....and I'd like to keep it as a reference.....

As for close up work.....I was just gettting into it with my othber camers, I had an S2 IS that I traded up for the E-500.......what do you suggest to be a good add on so I can continue to work on those skills? Preferably one that doesn't cost too much.....