Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:50 AM   #1

I hope someone can help me this this. I am going to replace my aging 3 OM's with an E500 SLR twin lens kit, but I am getting confused about the flash guns offered by Olympus. The FL-36 looks to be more than adequate for my needs, but I will need to get it off camera, and that is where I'm having problems. Olympus have a bracket numbered FL-BK01, which I think is what I want. What I cannot seem to sort out is which of the five cables available is the right one, if indeed any will work.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this.

Thanks in advance.
ventanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:34 PM   #2

If you get the FL-CB05 cable, you can use the Olympus flash on ANY bracket, or even on a tripod or handheld (with full TTL control).

If you get the FL-CB02 cable, you can ONLY use the Olympus FL-BK01 bracket (again with full TTL control).

Those are the only two cables compatible with your camera (other cables are for Oly C-series cameras).

As for flashes, the FL-36 has a guide number of 36m, runs on 2AAs, and while good for average shooting it does have a slower recharge time (up to 6 seconds).

The FL-50 has a guide number of 50m, runs on 4AAs, can use an external battery pack for even faster recharge times, can take a little more use, but still is not meant for commercial shooting (for professional shooting I use a plug-in strobe that's fan cooled).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:04 PM   #3

In addition to the Olympus cable Mike refers to, believe it or not, the off camera cord 2 made by Canon for their flash units also works in TTL mode if used to mate Olympus flash units and cameras! Hard to believe, but true. When I switched from Canon to Olympus I had sold pretty much all my Canon stuff except the Canon cable. I had already bought my E-1 outfit, which included the Olympus cable. I then saw a message about the compatibility of the Canon cable with the Olympus system, tried it out and it works.

Today I use both cables, but I'll tell you, the Canon Off-shoe cord II is a much better built affair than the Olympus model. If I needed to replace one of mine today I'd buy another Canon cord.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:19 AM   #4

Thanks very much for your replies, I am very grateful. Also sorry for the delay in getting back.

I now know what to do, and will order my new kit soon. I have also decided to expand my requirements and purchase an additional body - the E-330.
ventanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:34 AM   #5

Since you are looking for an additional body, you may want to see what comes out of Photokina, like the E-400 (although no one knows what it will be yet).
Old Sep 12, 2006, 1:01 AM   #6

If you do use the FL-CB05 cable for off the camera use of a flash, can you then use the built-in flash as a fill flash? This would be on a E-500 which can not extend the built-in flash when an external flash is mounted.
mgfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 1:20 AM   #7

Quote:
If you do use the FL-CB05 cable for off the camera use of a flash, can you then use the built-in flash as a fill flash?
You didn't say which camera, but it definately works on the E-300.