Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:20 AM   #1

I noticed that there are updates for this camera/firmware/software...I just purchased my E-500 3 weeks ago, do I need to install these updates? If so, could someone please simplify the instructions for me? I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up with this expensive camera....
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2

Let me give you some bad advice.

I've had my E-500 for 4 months and I've taken almost 3,000 pictures.

Obviously, you WANT to update the software and I'm sure many others here can give you the advice you need.

In my case, I have a bad dial-up connection and I was very leery about screwing things up during a lengthy update (I understand the camera upfdate isn't TOO long but the Olympus Master software update pretty big). So I simply did not update any firmware or software. Now, I'm NOT saying you should do the same. If I had a better net connection, I would certainly update the software and it may be necessary for future use (perhaps to utilize features for the Panasonic/Leica Lumix lenses).

I only put this post here as a record of the fact that the camera and the supplied lenses work just fine, out of the box with no update. Like I said, 3,000 pictures and everything is working like a charm. Don't feel that your equipment is somehow inferior because you haven't got the latest updates.

So you'll WANT the update...but it's obviously nothing to lose sleep over. After 4 months, I'd actually forgotten that I hadn't done the update.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 1:19 PM   #3

Bad advice is right. Personally I also use dialup, and have no issue about upgrading my camera...I've done it twice now as well as adapters, lenses, etc.

The Olympus software checks to see what firmware the camera has, then checks to see what version is available for download, asks you if you want it, downloads the firmware, checks to see if it's ok, and THEN it updates the camera.

All the list of updates, and links to how to do it is located on this page (links to instructions are at the bottom of the page):

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...tware/firm/e1/

There's no excuse not to do it. It's simple and safe (unless you do something wrong, like running multiple programs, screen savers and things that shut down the computer, pull the cable while updating, not following instructions, doing the update with a dead camera battery, etc.). BTW, I always make sure I've shut down and restarted the computer beforehand so the computer has less chance of crashing.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the info!!!!
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:07 PM   #5

I use to have dial up and never could get the update to work. It would always get about 75-85% done then time out. Finally took the Camera and my software to my sisters house and used her DSL and all went fine. I finally got High Speed where I live. :G and Now I can do my updates here.
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:50 PM   #6

Maybe it depends on timeout settings...personally I've never had an issue; last time I did an upgrade via dialup was June when the E-300 v1.4 came out.

I'm using Studio, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:44 AM   #7

i to only have dial up, and i have successfully updated my e-500, but was unable to get my olympus master software to update because connection kept timing out, so after researching a little i found out that my internet service provider had preset the timeout settings to 20 min. in the software they provided me. so i dug into the settings and turned of the timeout function completely. i was then able to update olp. master on the very first try. i will still be very cautious when it comes to updating the camera in the future though, because of a post i read on another site where some one was using dial up and they're connection timed out and caused the camera itself to lock up and had to be sent to repair facility to be fixed, at olympus' standard $200 service fee. if i could find one fault with my e-500 since i've owned it, that would be that olympus requires this "live updating" for its camera and software.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
i will still be very cautious when it comes to updating the camera in the future though, because of a post i read on another site where some one was using dial up and they're connection timed out and caused the camera itself to lock up and had to be sent to repair facility to be fixed, at olympus' standard $200 service fee.
If it's the same one I read, there was no talk of how much it costed, and I still say it was user error as the software downloads the firmware entirely before starting to update the camera.

Quote:
i could find one fault with my e-500 since i've owned it, that would be that olympus requires this "live updating" for its camera and software.
Having done firmware upgrades for 20 years on various devices, I actually prefer it over the method normally done as I know the source of the firmware is Olympus, and not a hacked version that would crash the camera. Also with the software it goes looking for the upgrade, and I don't have to spend time searching the corporate website looking for the file.