Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2006, 2:30 PM   #1

I decided to shoot in Raw today with the E1 - very happy with what I've seen in lightroom and OLy's Viewer but I'm getting a wee bit confused or just plain stupido when I'm trying to save or export the files. If I'm using the Oly s/w and I save the the RAw file to a an Exif-tiff or Exif-Jpeg why is all of the main EXIF info stripped from the file ? If I use Lightroom I'm finding that I can't add layers in Photoshop or save the file as a jpeg - only Tiff or Raw :roll: :roll: . Any ideas as its kinda driving me crazzy

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:44 PM   #2

I am not really following the process you are describing.

You download the RAW file, apply the settings you want to use in RAWviewer programand then "process" the RAW file, meaning you should be able to output either a JPEG or TIFF file. Is that right? If you do that, all the EXIF should not only remain with the RAW file but will also follow the resultingprocessed TIFF or JPEG...you shouldn't have an option to save a processed RAW file as RAW.

Part of the problem may also the system you are using to find the various files after you process them. I use Capture One to process my RAW images and I really like what it does. I have my RAW files in a folder based on how I download them, and I do use Olympus' software to download everything from the card. When I process the files in C1 it creates a separate folder called "develops" where all the JPEG or TIFF files go, separating them from the RAW files. That may have nothing to do with your situation at all....just thought I'd venture a guess.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 6:23 PM   #3

Hi Greg

Thanks for the reply. I've heard some good things about Capture1 but at the moment I just have the Oly Viewer and Lightroom beta for workign with RAW files. I'm basically doing what you describe - with the Oly app (i) open the RAW file and make the various changes that I want and then (2) save the file either as a jpeg or tiff. With the Oly viewer software theres 3 tiff options and 2 jpeg filetypes you can save the RAW file as and each has a EXIF- option. What I'm finding is that no matter which file type I save the RAW file as, nearly all of the EXIF info is being stripped out of the files apart from Camera type, resolution and date created/modified. I just find this a strange thing to do and would have thought all of the EXIF data would remain.

With Lightroom, the processed RAW files retain their exif info but when I want to say work the tiff file I just created in Photoshop and say finish of placing a border around the image I'm unable to then save the file as a jpeg. I realised that Lightroom is still beta software and that I'm still running PSHOP 6.0.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:23 PM   #4
Administrator

You're working with a 16 bit per channel image and a jpeg file only supports 8 bits per channel.

In Photoshop, if you want to save in JPEG, go to Image>Mode and change from 16 bits per channel to 8 bits per channel. Then, you should see jpeg as an available choice when using File>Save As.

I'd do any other desired editing in 16 bit mode before changing to 8 bit and saving to JPEG (you'll get less posterization peforming your edits in 16 bit mode).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:35 PM   #5

Hi Jim !

Thanks for the tip on Photoshop - it never even occurred to me to check and change the no. of bits from 16-8 it was driving me crazy.

Well, here's a couple of the shots from today - I ended up giving up on Oly viewer I may just have a good look at Capture 1.

Pic.1 Converted using Lightroom. ISO400 f4.7 1/25s

Pic 2. Ford Zodiac - apparently a classic car. ISO 400 f6.3 1/100s

3. Tree stump deep inside Epping forest. ISO 400 f4.4 1/80s

Cheers

HarjTT
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:56 AM   #6

has anyone tried pixmatic RawShooter .. the free version ? Its pretty good

It recognises Oly Raw and has a very good Batch conversion. Olympus Master has this irritating tendency of having to "process" the raw file everytime unless you save it as a JPEG, and no way of remembering any changes you hae done to RAW settings individually. it always uses the same settings for the entire group of files.

Better try and dwonload this soon as Pixmatic has been acquired by Adobe and I have no idea how long they will still give the free download..
http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter.asp
sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:29 AM   #7

Hi Sharp

Just downloaded the app - according to the site once :

Rawshooter Essential:
Essentials will no longer be updated but will be available for download until shortly after Adobe Lightroom 1.0 is released as a shipping product.

Raw Shooter Premium:

RawShooter | premium has been discontinued and will no longer be offered for sale or updated

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:41 PM   #8

Hi HarjTT,
Once you get a chance to try it, do post your comments/views.. would be interesting to see another view on this.
sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:54 AM   #9

Hi HarjTT,

While your experimenting, you might want to take a look at "Silkypix Developer Studio". I have played around with Lightroom and RawShooter, but I like the results from Silkypix with raw from my E-500. I have read some negative comments regarding the interface on Silkypix, but to me, it was more intuitive than some of the others. I have only used the free version so far, but even with limited features I find the default "development" usually is pretty close to what I am looking for. I can save the file and bring it up in Photoshop Elements for fine tuning. If I decide to get serious about using Raw, I will probably consider upgrading to the full product.

Here is the link if you are interested:
http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/

Just my two cents... Good luck!
Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote