Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:31 AM   #1

Hi there ~ Guys & gals,

My E500 came with two lens hoods, and I would like to know what would be a prime condition for their usage. Also, since they are both of different sizes/shapes - when would either of them be best called for?

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:52 AM   #2

I use my hoodsall the time.

1. indoors they are protection from the front element being hit against anything. The only time you don't want to use them is when you're using the built-in flash. The hood insome instanceswill cut the light off from part of the bottom of the image.

2. Outdoors they protect the front element from sunlight. Think of them as a hat for your lens. Go outside on a sunny day and try wearing a hat for a while and then take it off and notice how much better, especially when looking at backlit areas, things look when you have the hat on. Same principal with the lens hood.

The petal hood is meant for the 14-45. The circular hood is for the 40-150, and that's how you should use them. They are designed for use with those specific lenses. The hood for the 14-45 won't be deep enough for the 40-150 and the hood for the 40-150 will cause shading in the corners on the 14-45, so you want to use the right hood with the right lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 3:02 AM   #3

Thanks Greg.

Of what reading that I have been able to do, there hasn't really been anything discussed on the subject of lens hoods (not to any degree of depth, anyway). But I will start using them now.

_________
Blessings,

Nathan
Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:59 AM   #4

To learn about lens hoods do a Google search for LENS HOODS USING. Here's a good page explaining why you'd want to use lens hoods:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...lens-flare.htm

Personally, I don't like the plastic hoods and instead opted for rubber hoods that attach via the filter thread. The only thing is if you have the rubber hood and a filter on it you can get vignetting on the wide angle lens near 14mm (yes, I do use a wide angle rubber hood for it).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:31 PM   #5

Thanks Mike,

I am heading there right now.

_________
Blessings,

Nate
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:27 PM   #6

Be very careful when you put on and take off the lens hood of the 40-150: try to avoid that the motor turns! This is important to avoid damaging the gears.

The 14-45 does not have this problem, nor does the 14-15 and 50-200.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:11 PM   #7

Jorgen ~

Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

_______
Blessings,

Nate