Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:07 PM   #1

Having moved up to the E1 from Pana's IS based FZ I was really worried about not having an IS based camera esp as I don't usually carry around a monopod or a tripod. I've been making do by applying the same technique's that I've used with the FZ10 to help steady myself and reduce camera shake - takinga good shoulder wide stance, boyzo's camera grip and controlling my breathing as I shoot. The E1's ergonomics, size and weight help a lot here. I've not tried Greg's tech of using burst mode yet but will do when I can.

I'm still looking forward to getting the Leica D when its for sale and will also look at the IS based tele zoom's when they become available.

Here's a shot taken at ISO400 f11 and at 1/8s handheld and converted from RAW. I wasn;t sure if it was going to be clear or sharp at all but was pretty suprised that it did. What do you think ? I'll post 100% crops if anyones interested .

Taken in slight overcast conditions in Epping FOrest:

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:45 PM   #2

Looks like you have your technique down pat to me. Very crisp on my monitor.

Can you you give me a clue what "boyzo's camera grip" is?
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:24 PM   #3

Hi Jim

I've been trying to find the orginial thread that Boyzo posted a while back on the panasonic digicam forum - it had a few shots on John showing how to hold the camera but looks as if the threads from that far back are no longer available.

Basically, instead of the traditional method of having your left hand under the lens barrel - John's technique was to have the left hand around the side or over the top of the barrel and for a wee bit more stability this then lets your elbow rest against your chest if need be. I found that it really helped me a lot with the FZ10 whose grip is way too small and uncomfortable and thus I'd always get a wee bit extra camera shake. I've been able to get 12x or very slow 1/13s handheld shots uncropped with the FZ10 that have been very sharp and blur free combining Pana's IS and the technique. Here's two examples :

1. 12x Zoom (420mm) ISO 100 Handheld.

2. Samurai Armour f2.8 1/15 s @ ISO 100. shot behind glass and very low light.

If I can dig it John's original thread with the pics I will or will post some scarey pics of me demonstrating the hold.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:25 PM   #4

Let's not lose sight of the fact that photography existed for about 170 years before anybody heard of image stabilization! In fact, it probably only started to be available on consumer cameras in the last 2 or 3 years.

If you had asked a photographer about image stabilization in the year 2001, he probably would have said, "What the hell are you talking about?"

I almost never use a monopod or tripod when I'm "in the field". If I'm taking pictures of airplanes with the 40-150 at maximum zoom, I might use a monopod. The only time I really use the tripod is for macro work in and around the house.

In the last 35 years, I owned an image stabilized camare for about 14 months...a Panasonic I got in early 2005 and stopped using when I got my E-500 in mid 2006. Image stabilization was nice butI never developed any need for it. I just keep taking pictures the same way photographers have been taking pictures for generations: a solid stance with the arms tucked in. Same way I took pictures in 1974, 1984, 1994, 2004....
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:21 PM   #5

Hi HarjTT,

Nice to see a familiar face over here... It looks like you are doing well with the E1.

I believe this link will take you to Boyzo's thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 12:52 PM   #6

Hi Time

Thanks for finding and posting the thread ! That little technique has been so useful, esp as I was constantly having to fight the FZ10 because it can be uncomfortable to hold which kidn of negated the impact of having IS until John posted that technique. You also saved me having to work out what to write what he'd already posted and also stopped me from take shots of my own ugly mug - John's a much better looking photographer/model !

I've bookmarked the Url as well !

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:22 PM   #7

hi HarjTT
man there are times when I miss England
and frame 1 made me think very deeply
its a lovely shot, and brings back memories

thanks for that

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 1:39 PM   #8

hmm back
see I completely forgot what I needed to say
try this old sniper trick HarjTT

equip you camera with an adjustable sling, make it a wide one

if you are right handed...
let the sling fall off the shoulder and down your back a bit, higher on the left around the top of the arm, lower on the right and under the arm so it doesnt interfere with your grip and control. Have the sling adjusted so that you can keep tension on the camera/sling by pushing the camera away from you. Brace against anything solid like a tree to help you whenever you can.

If you use the optic viewer make sure you can reach the viewer by moving your head closer, of course thats not necessary with the LCD.

You should find it takes the heartbeat pulse out of the grip. take a breath before a shot, and slowly let it out as you squeese the release. I hope its of use to you.

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 6:14 PM   #9

Thanks to you and HarjTT for this.
Unusual technique ..i tried a Low Light ISO400 shot of my son in a "candid " moment..never could get those shots righth earlier due to Camera shake.. this worked !!!!

Timewarp wrote:
Quote:
Hi HarjTT,

Nice to see a familiar face over here... It looks like you are doing well with the E1.

I believe this link will take you to Boyzo's thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote