Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:50 PM   #11

I do not own an Oly but I will go on to spout my 2 cents. Stay with what you have and take the time with patience in learning more about what you have. It could be a couple of tweaks and a PP workflow that would do the trick.

Most P&S are a bit more aggressive in processing the image and not as much PP can be done as say a RAW image or even a jpg image with standard settingsfrom a dSLR.

I don't know what a RAW image is like in comparison with a P&S. Perhaps the same as a dSLR. I really don't know since I have not come across many posts that present much in examples of PP from a RAW image from a P&S.

The fact that there are not many lenses for Oly is not a bad thing. In fact, you can spend more time getting to learn with what you have rather than wishing you had something else that you may in fact already have, but have yet to discover its full potential.

I expected alot from my dSLR right away and was not too happy with my initial results. Slowly I began to find what settings and PP worked best and also that I needed to pay more attention to getting proper exposure and improve my composition.

Once you figure it out and it becomes second nature on what the best settings your camera should be at any said or given situation you will enjoy your dSLR even more.

P.S.

Though I have not commented I do enjoy your postings from both cameras.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:01 PM   #12

Thanks Tom,

Today I spent the day on the river with both cameras...I used the shorter kit lens with the e-500, something I rarely do. Tonight I will see if I have snagged anything decent. I did use the polarizing filter and that should give me more dramatic clouds. Thanks for your advice,Iappreciate your thoughts. donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:44 PM   #13

Hi Donna

Firstly, have to thank Tom for posting his reply - on my way home I had been thinking exactly the same thing to what he's posted and theres not much more I can add to his post. I then realised that when I got my FZ10 I had the same thoughts - that my little 2MP Nikon 220 produced better pics than my new 4MP FZ10 - it was only after I joined the Pana forum and asked fo help did I realise that I couldn;t use the FZ10 as a P&S. Its taken nearly 18months for me to be able to get the best out of the FZ10 although I'm hoping it won;t take that long with the E1!

What I decided to do with the E1 is to resist grabbing for my FZ10 first but to try to learn how to use the Oly with the 14-45 kit lens to get the shot. Thats the sole reason why I haven't posted any new pics from the FZ10 recently - theres a lot to learn with the E1 and the much shorter focal length of the 14-45 and I feel if I restrict myself to the E1 the pictures that I'm taking can only improve.

I'm hoping the 14-54 Zukio is a step up from the 14-45 and according to a lot of people including [email protected] it is quote from his Sony R1 review "With the E-500 the options are limited by available lenses, the excellent 14-54 mm lens is easily as good as the R1 lens ", although I've read some threads where some people have found the 14-45 as good or sharper. Pricewise, I think the equivalent Canon or Nikon would cost quiet a bit more than the Oly 14-54.

What would be really nice for newbee's like me and Donna is a newbee guide for the Oly's similar to the FZ10's user guide created by David Fong which contains so many tips and tricks for the early FZ's from people that actually had been using the cam and knew its quirks. Is there anything like this available ?

On a similar note, I got a copy of the Olympus E system book by Frank Spath, with my E1 and I've found it to be an excellent source of info for the E1, so I'd assume that there would be something similar for the other Oly DSLR's or am I wrong ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:27 PM   #14

Hi DOnna

Take a look at these shots taken with an E300 +14-54, esp no.5:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=20075338

To my eyes these are sharper than as anything that I've got from the FZ10 and I'm sure that your E500 would be able to produce images just as sharp and punchy as the ones posted.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:01 PM   #15

Wonderful, wonderful images! I am going to have to get a part-time job to support my photo-habit. Thanks for your earlier post and for sharing the link...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote