Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:22 PM   #1

I have both the E-500 with the 40-150 kit lens and the panny fz7. I am a novice, I confess, but when I took a portrait of my son today using available light, with both cameras, using aperture mode, wide open, the panny seemed sharper. Is this just the "in house" sharpening of the digicam or is the panasonic leica lens sharper? Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2

You are not seeing things. The Panasonic probably has more in camera sharpening, its lens is smaller, so its easier to make it sharper....
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:47 PM   #3

Thanks for confirming that. How can I make the e-5oo images sharper...Donna
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4

There's a sharpening setting, should be in shooting menu 2.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:52 PM   #5

Got it. Had it on +1, went up another notch. I also used a tripod, so I know it wasn't camera shake. donna
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:54 PM   #6

Got it. Had it on +1, went up another notch . I also used a tripod, so I know it wasn't camera shake. Donna
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:16 AM   #7

Just want to add a word of advice that you may want to use caution with the in camera sharpening and look more towards sharpening in post processing.

One problem with image processing in the camera is that , if overdone, it can be virtually uncorrectible. Sharpening is one of those processes that can easily get out of hand if you don't pay close attention. As image sharpness increases, very fine detail can be lost. Worse, images can develop "halo" or "ringing" artifacts at edges defining areas of high contrast. I'm especially sensitive to that latter problem. Some people don't particularly notice it but it drives me nuts.

Now, it's unlikely that you would turn up the camera sharpness to such an extant as to cause such obvious difficulties. Nevertheless, I personally prefer a slightly softer image out of the camera which I can then sharpen as need in post processing.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:19 AM   #8

Thanks Brent, I love the way my e-500 feels and performs but I find I use my panny more. I can't afford the zuiko equilvalent lens to the leica on the panny so I guess that is the main reason. I wish there were more available lens and less expensive prices for the e-500, have thought about selling it and looking at something else...any thoughts for the future of available, less expensive lens for the e-series. Donna
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:55 AM   #9

Hi Donna

Brents advise on the incamera sharpening is spot on - best to do this in say photoshop and apply a wee bit of unsharp mask (USM) to sharpen the pic to your liking. Regards the lens on the FZ's I've found the same thing since I've started to use the E1. The lenses on the FZ's are very good, actually shockingly good. I've ordered a 14-54 Zukio for my E1 so in a couple of weeks I should have that and know how much sharper the lens is compared to the FZ's.

The lens that I do really want for the E1 is the Leica D - from the samples that I've seen and from reviews of the L1 this lens is tack sharp even wide open and with good contrast. I think that lens paired to your E500 would run rings around the FZ7 and most other entry level DSLRS. The only question is how much will PAnaLeica sell the lens for - if its say approx $500-600 then its a steal.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:00 PM   #10

HarjTT, please keep me posted on that lens...I think I would love it. I love my panny and use it often, but would like to explore the possibilties of my e-500 more, that lens sounds enticing. It may be a bit amatuerish, but I like my images sharp and with good color/contrast. I have even been tempted to look at the Pentax K10D...all those lens...Donna