Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:43 PM   #1

Hi,

unfortunately the fate of the E-10 hit me and after googling and searching forums I found out that it unfortunately is "normal" that the E-10 at one point or the other after tens of thousand of photos keeps its shutter closed.

One forum even said that you basically can repair this problem yourself by slightly hitting the lens against something soft and the other way would be by cleaning a sensor that sits behind the lens.
I immediately responded to the person giving the cleaning advice asking about detailed instructions. Unfortunately didn't get any response from him :sad:

Anyone had the same problem and found a way to solve it without having it serviced by Olympus ? Can imagine that this would cost an arm and a leg to get it repaired

I love my E-10 despite the "low" 4 MP and just plain can't afford a new one right now - and a used one on eBay is out of the question, who knows how many shots I may get out of it before it decides not working anymore neither ....

Thanks for reading and responding
MaXx
maxxsart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:41 PM   #2

I have owned an E-10 since October of 2000, taken countless photographs and have never experienced a shutter lock-up. Nor have I heard of the occurrence as being "normal". I would guess hitting it against something soft is as good a home remedy as any (we try it for everything from flashlights to radios) but as far as cleaning the sensor, I would be very interested to see how anyone would go about doing so without a major strip-down on a fixed-lens camera. No wonder you didn't get a response. Trying to describe the disassembly process in an e-mail would be quite the trick. From your post it would seem like this has not yet occured but is a disaster you are waiting for. I would suggest you contact Olympus technical support with your concerns.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 6:57 PM   #3

So I talked to Olympus today, just to see and get some information - the nice representative "confessed" to me that my problem is common and sooner or later happens to every E-10 or E-20 - I hope I don't scare you with this ....

They offer a flatfee of $250 plus shipping to do a check-up on your camera as well for any other problems.

Yes it sucks to have a non-interchangeable lens but still, you agree that you get some nice shots with the E-10 right ?

Maxx
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:14 AM   #4

And it will probably happen to every E-300, E-500, E-330, and E-1.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:46 AM   #5

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
And it will probably happen to every E-300, E-500, E-330, and E-1.

Curious as to your logic as the E-10uses a leaf shutter and the DSLR's you mention have a focal-plane shutter. Two completely different mechanisms.

As far as the $250 fix...yes the E-10produces nice images but they're selling for about that on ebay. $250 to fix a six year old digital? I own one but would have to pass. I'd hold a funeral for an old friend and move on with my E-1's.

Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:08 AM   #6

My "logic" is life is a sexually transmitted, always fatal, terminal disease. :?

All good (and bad) things must come to an end.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:32 PM   #7

aaah the E-1 ...had an eye on that one before...but alas, as with my status as a fulltime student these days, budget has to be planned differently ...

P.s. the rep said something about 16,000 to 18,000 shots and the "glaucoma" sets in for the E-10/20
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:24 PM   #8

Must be getting close...I'll let you know.

Mike...check the med schedule, think you missed a dose.