Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:49 PM   #1

I just bought the Olympus e500 but it came body only. What lens should I buy for it. I am planning on doing some model photography in various light but same distance pretty much. Can i get some suggestions on Flash as well...Thanks.:|
bobbyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2

bobbyno wrote:
Quote:
I am planning on doing some model photography in various light but same distance pretty much. Can i get some suggestions on Flash as well...Thanks.:|

While the 14-45 vs. 14-54 debate will rage around me I'll throw a curve and suggest the 35mm macro. The 70mm (full-frame equivalent) field of view is perfect for portraits, faces, head shots, etc. and it will blur backgrounds when called upon despite being f/3.5. Plus when you get bored of people-pictures you can play with the macro capabilities.It's very sharp, and for faces I prefer it to the 14-54. The best $200 you'll spend in the Oly system. As far as flash goes, for the type of shooting you describe a good studio setup is in order.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:43 AM   #3

Get either the 14-45 or the 14-54 zoom depending on budget and how much of a pixelgazer you are. Both are good all round zooms.

If you are an experienced photographer, you can go for a fixed lens like the 35mm macro, but I would rather go for the Sigma 30mm f1.4, because of its very small depth of field at full aperture. Howeveer beware, these two lenses are much less forgiving then the zooms.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 2:24 AM   #4

Well, nobody's mentioned it, so let me put in a plug for the 50mm f2.0: Very sharp, and 100mm equivalent field of view is great for portraits. If I were going with a zoom, tho, it would definitely be the 14-54, since it's brighter, sharper, and has shorter minimum focusing distance.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 1:52 PM   #5

Norm's reasons for the 14-54 are exactly why I've ordered one for my E1. I like the look of the 50mm f2.0 as well but its just over 2x the proce of the 35mm f3.5 over here in the UK.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote