Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:38 PM   #1

I ended up giving up on the Olympus software - what a pile of S**te sofware and have been playign around with Capture One, Rawshooter and Silkypix as well as Lightroom. So far my favorite's Lightroom, although I do like the others and know from Sean reid (reidreviews.com) that Capture One Pro is probably the best RAW application available. here's some shots converted from RAW taken over the last two days:

1. Somewhere near Liverpool St station : the suns rays bouncing off a building opposite and back onto one of the old banks

2. The Marks & Sparks Building in Moorgate, downtown london.

3. An old edwardian building part of Finsbury Circus:

4. The park at Finsbury Circus: Converted to B&W

5. Evening news - taken at Bank Subway station after work

6. This one was taken yesterday - 3 priocly mice and a prickley puss

7. Arm chairs .....

At the moment - I'm finding ISo400-800 pretty good with the E1 actually excellent, and there's not too much extra work to do with the RAW files, but then again that could be due to me not havening a clue about workign with RAW. At the moment I'm just adjusting the brightness, contrast and fixing the WB if it need be and sharpening the image and thats it. Am I missing anythign else that I should be doing - the historgrams on the images usually looking properly exposed.

the 14-54 should be here in a week or so according to Cameta but the 14-45 seems to be doing a decent job - however, i did expernce some lens flare or sun spots on another shot which I'll post later. I'd just liek to know what caused it and how to work around it as it spoiled what I think was a nice candid street shot.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :|

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 7:33 PM   #2

Wow! HarjTT...Those images are great! How much better can you new lens be? The kit lens...not too shabby. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:04 PM   #3

Hi HarjTT,

Nice shots! Whatever program you are using for "development", you must be doing it right. I probably know even less about working in RAW than you. But, it sounds to me like you are making the same kind of adjustments that I have made when experimenting. I don't imagine that there is any particular "magic" to working with RAW... just adjusting until you get the best possible output. I'm still debating the pros and cons of shooting RAW. The biggest advantage I have seen is the extra forgiveness it gives you in terms of exposure. It is kind of nice to feel like you have full control of the processing, but the added workflow seems a bit cumbersome at times. (Perhaps if I settled on one program and used it regularly, the workflow would become more automatic.)

In one of your earlier threads I recommended Silkypix to you. I still tend to like that one, but I've also just began playing around with Bibble. It also seems to give me nice output on my E-500 with minimal adjusting. It has some other built in features (like Noise Ninja) which make it more appealing. Unfortunately, there is no "free" version of Bibble, but they do give you a free 14-day trial. I still have about 11 days left on my trial, so I'm going to try a direct comparison on some images in both Silkypix and Bibble and see what I think.

If you want to try Bibble, here is a link: http://www.bibblelabs.com/
Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:55 PM   #4

Your learning curve is quickly narrowing! Very nice stuff.

I've been using Capture One LE now for 3 years. The first two with Canon DSLR's and since a year ago with Olympus cameras (E-1 and E-300). Every image on my website is a RAW processed JPEG file run through Capture One. I've had Photoshop CS, now CS2 the entire time but have never really gotten the hang of Adobe Camera RAW. Capture One is very intuitive and real-time in terms of adjustments and seeing the results prior to processing.

I also purchased OlympusStudio and, as you've found, itleaves something to be desired in terms of speed of use although I hear if batch processing is used will give the best overall colors. There seems to be as many types of RAW programs as there are soft drinks to choose from and everyone has a favorite. They all seem to have free "test drives" available to downloadso I'd try as many as you can and settle on one that best suits you.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 4:24 PM   #5

HI Time

I tried Silkypix on my PC and I do like it but teh only thing that I didn;t really like was that once you developed the RAw file it like the others wouldn;t save the EXIF info with the jpeg or tiff file that was created. I must be doing something wrong - the armchair and the prickly mice were done with Silkypix. As Greg said - I need to play around with the various apps and see which one I like so its goign to be fun and games.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

PS

Aplogies for the really bad grammar and spelling as I'd just finished dealing with a severe server outage from home which took me 4 hours to resolve so I was seriously pooped out.

Old Sep 21, 2006, 7:12 PM   #6

Hi HarjTT,

I think you can tell Silkypix to save the EXIF data. To save the EXIF data, choose "Development" from the menu bar and then select "Setting for developed image". That will bring up another window where you can select either compressed (JPEG)or non-compressed (TIFF) formats. Just make sure you select one of the options that includes EXIF.

If you try Bibble, you can also save the EXIF data with the converted files. If not by default, then go to the file menu and choose "preferences". That will bring up a window with various sub-menus. Select "output" and make sure the box marked "do not export EXIF information" is not checked. As far as I can tell, the Bibble Lite version which I am testing only allows you to save JPEG files. I'm not certain, but I believe the Bibble Pro version may also allow saving in TIFF format.

Hope that helps...

Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7

hi HarjTT
it looks like you are getting your head around that camera now, I really enjoy your sense of composition and interest; about how many frames do ypu have on it now?

boy when its sharp it really is sharp isnt it, I was just having a read of the daily mail in one of your photos

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:11 PM   #8

Hi Riley

Thanks for the comments mate. I'm slowly getting my head around the E1 although I do get caught out everyonce in a while with my exposure settings all over the place - I do miss not beign able to frame with the LCD and a livehistogram but other than that the E1 is really lovely. I've picked up the 14-54 and its put a real smile on my face - like that Summricon f2-2.4 on the LC1 will surely do :-).

So far I've taken 650 exposures - and 80 if those were taken today with the new lens - thought I'd go and try a 1 hour photoshoot with it and see how it performs. On my FZ10 its only just hit 10,000 after nearly 2 years. Just goes to show what a picky so and so I can be when looking for a shot :lol:

Cheers

HarjTT

:cart:
Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:01 PM   #9

i really loved the first shot of the bank ..the play of shadows and the sunlight is really beautiful. how did you manage to get the exposure so right ?

I always manage to screw up those shots !
sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 6:33 PM   #10

Hi Sharp

I'm still not sure - i just check the reading in the viewfinder and make sure that I'm either spot on or about -2/3EV and I always use spot metering if that helps and thats how I got that one. I'm still learning how the E1 meters - its a lot more sensitive than the FZ10's.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?