Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:35 PM   #1

Here's the shot i mentioned - I'm not sure if its sun flare but I'd like to know what it is and how not to do it again.

Cheers

HarjTT

:blah:

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2006, 9:02 PM   #2

Hello again HarjTT,

Yes, I think that looks like what I have always attributed to lens flare. Were you using your lens hood at the time? That's about the only thing I know of to help prevent it. Sometimes though, even a lens hood won't be of much help. By the looks of the shadows in your picture, I would guess that the sun was pretty low in the sky so it must have been catching your lens from the side. The only thing I could suggest in that situation would be to try to place yourself in a position where the lens is in the shade.

When we were shooting with our FZ's we could be aware of the problem in the viewfinder, but our Oly's (without a live view) don't give us that advantage.

Here's a little article you might find of interest: http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=article_012703
Timewarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3

Yep, sun hitting the lens from acute angles. I really have to watch it when I'm using my 7-14 as the hood just can't do the job on the severest stuff, resulting in this:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos/58586728-S.jpg

This particular subject was fairly easy to clean up, but not always, so I'm very careful to use my hand as an extra shield if need be with this lens and to always use my lens hoods on the other optics.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:08 AM   #4

TW and Greg

Thanks for clearing that up - its happened once before and I had thought it was sun flare but just wasn't sure as I'd always managed to avoid it with my FZ10. With that pic I did have the lens hood on when I took the shot and Greg I hadn't even thought about the lens hood on the 7-14.

As the problems basically down to the lens hood not being deep enough, does anyone know if we can get deeper lens hoods for the zukio's ? I know Hama and Hoya manufacturer's lens hoods but I'm not sure if they do them in baynote mounts.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:31 AM   #5

I don't know that you can buy a hood that'll be bothdeep enough to completely eliminate flare altogether AND not cut off the corners of your images at the same time. They have to design hoods to work at the widest focal length on zooms, meaning you sacrifice some coverage at the long end. The "ideal" hood for a zoomwould be one of a telescoping manner where you could zoom it out to a set distance as you zoom in, but how many people would like todo that religiously? Think about how much you zoom in and out while framing.About the only one of those type hoods I've ever seen was one made for a Hasselblad. I think they called it a pro-shade and it was made of a canvas/leather type material like what you'd find on folding cameras like Zeiss Super Ikontas and it had set points of zooming based on the lens you were using, but it was a bulky setup for an already bulky camera.

The hoods Olympus sells with their lenses are designed specifically for those lenses so you'd have a hard time running something down from a third-party maker that would be much better unless you resorted to buying multiplehoods of the same size but for varying focal lengths, and I know some type A's that might be tempted if they read this.... I prefer to just use what'sprovided and usemy hand for additional shadingwhen necessary.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote