Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:42 PM   #1

If you've poped over to dpreview's Oly forum you would have noticed a pile of E3 threads and the one that started them all is down to some pics posted on dpnow.com.

http://dpnow.com/forum2/showthread.php?p=1039#post1039

Now personally looking at the shots of the mockup E3 - its just butt ugly and thank God its only a clay/balsa wood model. The E1 is a beautiful looking and built camera so I'd find it really hard that Oly would completely dump the basic ergonomics and design of the E1 for that monster.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:01 AM   #2

Ugh, it sure is ugly! I had hoped they would keep the e-1 design.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 6:47 AM   #3

After havign teh E1 for about 6 weeks I think Oly really did nail the ergonomics of the camera right on the head - of course they should revamp the style if its needed but this mockup just looks like an ugly.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:46 AM   #4

well, time to start saving:-)

that body is by far more ergonomic than the E1 and IMHO looks like a work of art
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:48 AM   #5

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and art is certainly subjective. There, that's my pair of cliches to start this post .

I have no problem at all with the appearance of the camera but I've never had a problem with the appearance of any camera. Ever look at a Hasselblad (of course we have, it 's a rhetorial question)? It's a square box. I've got a Bronica. It's a square box. I've got a 16mm Minolta. It's a box. I own a lot of boxes!

The new camera looks like is has desirable, if not pretty, characteristics. The grips are well rounded for hand-holding. The edges slope so that there are no hard corners that will easily impact on obstacles. It looks "logical".
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:16 PM   #6

Ergonomic? The placement of the buttons looks wrong to me, especially those underneath the LCD. But let's see.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:30 PM   #7

Take a look at pictures of the Olydak vs. the E-1...that was also an "ugly" camera until they refined it. In the case of the Olydak it was a one piece unit, but after being shown at Photokina Olympus received comments that it's too big and they created a two piece camera (separate grip).

Personally (from photos) I think the new "E-3" looks better than the Olydak or E-1!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 2:16 PM   #8

[email protected] has posted some shots of from Photokina including samples of teh E400 (looks very nice) and the mockup E3. There's also a shot of the Leica Digilux 3 (looks lovely) , Leicas version of the Pana L1.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Olympus/

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:13 PM   #9

that sure is ugly
always thought the C5050 and C7070 were ugly but that takes the cake

E400 has a button layout reminicent of Nikons

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote