Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:39 PM   #1

I read the thread regarding the soft focus inclination with the kit lenses and the use of the Unsharp Mask to correct it. I played with the USM using some some JPGs and didn't like the results. The USM sliders are Amount, Radius and Threshold. Any suggestions on tweaking those choices for the best results?

Thanks.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:59 PM   #2

Depending how soft the focus is, you do get to a point where no digital manipulation can fix a picture that is just too farout of focus.

Read this about SMART SHARPEN, not unsharp mask,and using theGausian Blur option within Smart Sharpento fight slightly out of focus images, but you need Photoshop CS2 to do this unless Elements 3.0 or 4.0 has it.

http://photoshoptips.net/2006/03/09/smart-sharpen/

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:53 PM   #3

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Depending how soft the focus is, you do get to a point where no digital manipulation can fix a picture that is just too farout of focus.

Read this about SMART SHARPEN, not unsharp mask,and using theGausian Blur option within Smart Sharpento fight slightly out of focus images, but you need Photoshop CS2 to do this unless Elements 3.0 or 4.0 has it.

http://photoshoptips.net/2006/03/09/smart-sharpen/
You mean all that photo manipulation on CSI and in the movies is fake? You can't sharpen up what looks like a puddle of vomit and get a recognizable face or readable license plate :G

Interesting read at that link. Too bad I only have Photoshop 7.0. I've heard CS2 is awesome.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:05 AM   #4

All of a sudden the ice cream bar I'm eating doesn't taste so good.:?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:06 AM   #5

Here's a good example of what Smart Sharpen can do...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=36
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:32 AM   #6

Greg:

I've just learned that if I set my E-500 sharpening to a -1 or -2, I can later sharpen up the images very nicely. Has that been your experience?

This way one can take full advantage of the kit lenses. They are not bad at all!
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:11 AM   #7

Detectorist wrote:
Quote:
Greg:

I've just learned that if I set my E-500 sharpening to a -1 or -2, I can later sharpen up the images very nicely. Has that been your experience?

This way one can take full advantage of the kit lenses. They are not bad at all!
That is exactly how many do it, especially if they plan to do any additional post processing, and that's almost always necessary. I shoot RAW 100% of the time, so I just leave my camera set to the default setting because in RAW no settings, such as contrast, sharpening, etc., are applied to the file.