Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:05 PM   #1

I was going through this article on shooting sunsets...

http://olympusdigitalschool.com/e-sy...ets/index.html

I am confused.. I was under the assumption that for landscape photography (assuming this includes sunsets) we need to choose the smallest aperture possible for infinite focus. However, the article found on the link above suggests to use f3.5 (widest aperture) to shoot sunsets. Am I missing something? Can someone please explain.
prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:31 PM   #2

Hi Pra

I've been looking for that link for a good few weeks so many thanks !

Now if it was me I wouldn't use a wide aperture for any kind of landscape shot, including a sunset. I've not had a chance with the E1 at capturing the sunsetting but here's one from my FZ10 (handheld at the smallest aperture it can do f 8 . I think they must have made a mistake.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:16 PM   #3

thanks!
that shot is great..!

just curious, I went back to the sunset shot I tried to capture in Pismo Beach, California a month back. made a last minute decision to stop at Pismo Beach and the sun was already down before I could find some parking.....got this one hastily in program mode..E500 chose F3.5.

1/125sec
F3.5
45mm
iso100
(after some cropping)
Attached Images

prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:42 AM   #4

prajull wrote:
Quote:
However, the article found on the link above suggests to use f3.5 (widest aperture) to shoot sunsets. Am I missing something? Can someone please explain.
Yes, in a landscape taken in daytime, you want the foliage knifesharp (here megapixels are like chocolate: more is better). In a sunset, you are merely after the colours (you may change the white balace to help nature get the right colours), you don't really care about details and the motive is distant. There is not much light and it is more important to avoid motion blur. You can also get more a feeling of depth by focussing on a foreground or middleground and leave the distant stuff with the colours out of focus.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:07 AM   #5

Thanks guys for bringing up this question...and then answering it with photos and information.I have tried many times to do sunsets, never really having any technique other than having the aperturewide open and WB on cloudy to saturate colors. Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 8:58 AM   #6

Why are sunsets nearly always landscapes taken in daytime? Just to be different: why not a sunset with artificially illuminated townscape taken in the evening? Taken with my beloved mju 810 on a tripod (2.5 seconds f4.7, iso 100).

Attached Images

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:32 AM   #7

I love townscapes...yours is very nice! I live in a rural area and don't even have street lights...have to remember to take my camera with me when I go to the city. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote