Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:20 PM   #1

Came across this article on http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/E1blog/100mmr.html on using a Leica R100 f2.8 macro and an Oly E330. he also gives his opinion on the 50mm F2 macro ZD and how well it fares .

A pretty interesting site and good to see what the Oly and Leica glass can do (I haven;t checked the price on the R100 f2.8 just yet !)

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:17 PM   #2

Here's a macro shot with another lens and an E300 and Macro Elmarit R 60mm f2.8 Taken by Johann W. Meier and orginially posted on the Leica forum:

Its got me thinking about the 50mm f2.0.

Cheers

HarjTT

Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:20 PM   #3

that one's awesome!

I'm thinking of getting myself one 50mm F2. Probably next month.
prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:23 PM   #4

I use the Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP Macro on my Oly E-300 and E-1 bodies, for the same types of shots. It's superb, and quite easy to use on a 4/3 body - mine has a Pentax M42 mount, and fits with an inexpensive M42 to 4/3 adapter. It's lighter than the quite heavy Leica 100mm Macro Elmarit-R

In addition to one of the many great older manual focus macro lenses in the 85-100mm range that are out there, There are several other types of manual focus glass that I strongly recommend for any Olympus 4/3 body:

Any fast 50mm lens makes a superb inexpensive fast portrait lens on an Olympus body. I personally use a Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, that is easily found on ebay for under $50. For around $20, several brands of 50mm f1.8 lenses would do just as well, only they are slightly slower.

Long fast tele glass costs a fortune nowadays for modern autofocus DSLRs. But you can find great pro-caliber manual focus glass for a small fraction of the cost, which allows someone to do casual birding or astrophotography without having to sell your car. For example, I got my hands on a used Nikon 300mm f2.8 ED AI, for under $600. The optics of this lens are the equal of any current autofocus lens with similar specs. But the newer AF versions tend to sell for 6-10 THOUSAND dollars. So, by forgoing autofocus, I was able to get the same caliber lens for under 10 cents on the dollar.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:13 AM   #5

Harj, the 50 mm f2 is an excellent lens, i love mine, only i do not have the live view DOF option like the E330 as i have an E500..hmmmphh

I really love the portrait capabilities of the lens and it macro capabilities are really nice, though i do also recommend manual focusing, as the lens can get lost fast using any form of autofocus.....a very tight DOF

I have been watching the Pentax Takumar for awhile and have had an interest in trying it, the last one i found in a shop was a little shoddy and had what appeared to be some fungus on one of the lens edges...cheap though, $50 seems to be the going rate. At any rate the Zuiko is a fast lens itself and the light it lets in is good...

i used to shoot with an old pentax MV1 and loved their lenses...so trying out the 50 f1.4 is tempting
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:44 PM   #6

Hi Doug, I have a question: When you speak of using older used lens that are brands other than Zuiko digital...I realize you will not be able toauto focus... what about metering? Is auto focus the only thing you lose (I have an e-500)? I assume you need a mount...a universal mount or one native to each lens maker...Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:15 PM   #7

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Hi Doug, I have a question: When you speak of using older used lens that are brands other than Zuiko digital...I realize you will not be able toauto focus... what about metering? Is auto focus the only thing you lose (I have an e-500)? I assume you need a mount...a universal mount or one native to each lens maker...Donna
Donna,

You don't lose metering, but you do lose open-aperture metering (you meter via stop-down metering)and you can onlyuse aperture prority or manual exposure modes because the camera cannot determine the "speed" of the lens in use. In other words, in terms of metering technology you go back to about the early tomid 1970's.

Using manual lenses is entirely possible, but requires asignificantly different workflow.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 2:51 PM   #8

Yes, I typically use Aperture Priority center-weighted metering with the older legacy lenses.

FYI, I use an E-1, and an E-300. My E-300 is adapted for use with manual focus lenses, using a Katz-Eye aftermarket focusing screen, which has a split image center, and a microprism collar.

I own adapters for Pentax M42 Screw mount to 4/3, Olympus OM to 4/3, Nikon F to 4/3, and Leica R to 4/3. These adapters are easily bought on ebay, typically costing around $30 each.

As Greg mentions, there is a work flow that one generally follows when using these older, manual focus lenses.

Typically, I set the metering mode to Aperture priority, center weighted, and leave it there. I focus wide open, and then stop down the lens and shoot. In practice, if you have experience focusing manually, AND have the focusing screen that I do (The Katz Eye) that makes it easy, this workflow is quite simple to follow. IMHO, focusing wide open and stopping down is no big deal.

Unfortunately, there is not yet a Katz-Eye screen available for the E-500 or E-330, and I am afraid that the finder for the E-500 in particular is rather small and not well suited to manual focusing as a standard mode of operation. OTOH, using an E-1 or an E-300 with a Katz-Eye screen, it's rather easy to do. Frankly, that and the lower cost was the main reason I bought an E-300 rather than an E-500.

In my experience, manual focus is MOST useful when shooting macro, and also very useful for shooting portraits. It's also very cost effective to use long fast telephotos such as my 300mm f2.8 Nikkor ED AI, which can be gotten on ebay for well under $800 (1/10th of the cost of a modern Digital Zuiko, and these lenses are optically equal).
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 3:50 PM   #9

Well with my viewfinder, looks like manual forcusing and older lens might be a hassle. That is my only disappointment with my e-500, not a lot of affordable lens. I would love to be able to find a deal on some great old lens on ebay...but I can't see any other way except zuiko unless some new affordable lens are on their way.

Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:39 PM   #10

Hi Donna

I was just lookign through that website and the dudes put quiet a bit of effort in tying in all sorts fo info on 4/3rds. I found his pages on the various lenses by Sigma, Olympus and PanaLeica pretty useful:

4thirds Refernce page:

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/phot...thirdsref.html

Olympus Lenses

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/phot...ourthirds.html

Sigma Lenses

Leica Lenses

Hope that helps.

Cheers

HarjTT

:cart: