Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:47 PM   #11

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Could this shot be straightened now?* I felt this was a "throwaway" shot and didn't bother...Donna
Just a quick straighten.

First time uploading a pic, hope it works.
Attached Images

gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:52 PM   #12

Yes you can. I think you can do it photoshop if you have. But I do not have photoshop so can't help.

However, I've seen google's Picasa (I use it to manage my library) can do it in a very simple, easy way. upto you.

here is a shot that my wife took, and I straigtened it out with Picasa. (btw. pointing the camera at the sun is a definite no-no)
Attached Images

prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:52 PM   #13

here is the corrected image...
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:52 PM   #14

Thanks! I have Elements 4.0. Using that software, which tool would I use to do the same...donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:10 AM   #15

In gimp, I would rotate and crop.. you could do the same in photoshop. unless it has something special to handle it easily.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:43 AM   #16

elements has a straighten tool built right into it, not sure where it is as i use Photoshop CS2, but look for a ruler or search in Help by pressing F1, try this and see if it works in Elements

with photoshop you would use the ruler/measure tool, which is in the eyedropper sub-menu, towards the bottom right of the CS2 tool menu. Click on the Eyedropper tool and hold it down until the fly-out menu comes up and choose the little ruler. By clicking on a starting point of the horizon you want to straighten and dragging the line to the other side (the line should remain crooked on screen), then go to Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary, a Rotate Canvas window will pop-up and give you Angle and Direction (CCW, CW) just hit Okay..if it is still a little off, hit Ctrl+Z to undo and try again, that's Cmd+Z on a MAC
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:28 AM   #17

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Thanks!** I have Elements 4.0.* Using that software, which tool would I use to do the same...donna
I don't know how in Elements. I don't have that.

I know this won't help you, but I used Microsoft Digital Image 2006 for your picture above.

With that, it was just selecting "Straighten Picture" then pointing out what is a straight line in the picture and then selecting auto cropping.
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:30 AM   #18

Thanks guys, the info reallly helps. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:46 AM   #19

Donna

HAve a look at this thread over at dgrin.com which shows you how to do it Photoshop and elements should be the same.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2920&highlight

Not sure about any of the other RAW convertor apps but I've found that Lightoom has a "straightening" option is really simple to use - you just type in an angle and then lightroom makes the change.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:59 PM   #20

echo
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote