Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:49 PM   #1

My windowsill orchid in bloom. Donna
Attached Images

D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:42 PM   #2

very nice picture.
hotrodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:06 PM   #3

very good shot. Can you post the exif data?
prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:59 PM   #4

Orchids are gorgeous. We have a lady at the office who has a green thumb with them. People give her vines that have never bloomed and usually within months she's coaxed something out of them. She's had me do an image or two & printed a couple for her home.

E-1 with 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Zuiko, at 200mm.

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:23 PM   #5

Hi, I used the e-500, kit lens at 150mm, f/4.5, 1/50sec. Level,sharpening and contrast in photoshop. It was taken on my porch, and the light was a bit low. Donna
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:24 PM   #6

Hi Greg, that is a phalenopsis (lady slipper)orchid too...Donna
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:01 AM   #7

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I used the e-500, kit lens at 150mm, f/4.5, 1/50sec. Level,sharpening and contrast in photoshop. It was taken on my porch, and the light was a bit low. Donna
-Donna

How far were you from the Orchids ?

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:56 AM   #8

Hey Donna & Greg

Nice shots ! Just what I like to see on a Monday :-) :G.

Greg

The shot with the 50-200 looks pretty sharp to me, nice bokeh and shows very good detail too. How much of a beast is the 50-200 ??

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:56 AM   #9

I don 't know for sure, I took a lot of pics that day, maybe 8-10 feet...dg
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:48 PM   #10

Thanks, Donna. The lady I was talking about has several different colors in her office. I need to do some studying in plant varieties. I do a lot of shooting at the Dallas Arboretum, but never could tell anyone what it was I shot other than the obvious, like roses, but when it comes to type, forget it!

Harjtt,

As far as the 50-200 goes, it is not huge like the 100-400 Canon I used to try and cart around, but it's no lightweight, either. It's a fairly "dense" lens. It is a very solidly built lens.When I use it with my E-1 with the accesory gripfitted, it's quite a heavy outfit, but used with the E-300 it isn't bad at all. I carried it all over Paris for 12 days and survived fine. One thing I did do was to take the tripod mount off. Unless I am actually using it, it stays off. It's not that it's a heavy piece, but to me not having it on makes it a little less unwieldy.

At 200mm the compression quality is impressive. Take a look at this series of images, primarily the last one that I shot at 200mm where I am standing at the opposite end of the Tulleries Gardensand see how it compresses everything all the way to the modern buildings of Paris beyond the Arc de Triomphe:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=86

The minimum focus distance is 3.9 feet, or 1.2 meters. Many people use it with the extension tube EX-25 to get even closer for this type work, but being able to zoom as far out as 200mm and keeping that close focus distance, you are able to get pretty darn close for this type work, and the lens isvery sharp. I am hopeful at some point that Olympus installs image stabilization in their bodies. It would make this lens darn near perfect.

Every Christmas we have a client that gives us several Amaryllis plants at the office. A few weeks later when they bloom I have several days of great shooting and always use the 50-200 to record them.

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote