Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2006, 2:27 PM   #1

What is the real world difference between shooting raw and shq jpeg format apart from the file compression?

I have tried both and opened the files in oly master. The raw file being opened with the 'raw' and 'edit' functions.

I run the sharpness and saturation down 1 notch on the camera. My moniter is calibrated and the only visible difference I could see when viewed at 100% was the raw file wat a touch darker on brown colours .

Given that you can customize everything on a jpeg file as you do a raw file is it really worth the extra file size? Especially when pictures printed at 8x10 you wouldnt notice any loss of detail?

cheers

daniel
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:25 PM   #2

The main difference between RAW and JPEG are that none of the perameters, even if you have values set in your camera, are applied to the RAW file, which means you get to apply any setting as far as sharpness, white balance, exposure compensation,etc., after the fact.

Regarding exposure compensation, that does not mean exposure doesn't matter as you can overexposure or underexpose to where you canruin even a RAW file, but I have been able to go back and take a slightly overexposed images and pull detail out where if it had been a JPEG the information lost at the creation of the internal JPEG would have made it very hard to do the same thing.

If you can get everything right at the moment of exposure, JPEG may be all you'll ever need. No doubt, you'llstill have some additional work to do afterwards, sharpening being the main one I can think of. DSLR's simply do not apply as aggressive perameters as digicams because makers design them with different users in mind. If you are asking this thinking you'll never have to do any post processing at all, I say you will be sorely disappointed if that is your thought process.

For myself, I have enough issues worrying about basic things such as exposure and composition. The last thing I want to think about when I'm actually taking pictures is what the white balance or sharpening or contrastshould be set to, and with the E-300White Balancea real concern- my experience with it is the internal Auto White balance isn't that great, so I shoot RAW exclusively and get it right later on my monitor. I alsouse a much faster program in Capture One LE than any of the Olympus software solutions, so processing RAW files is no big deal and I keep my drives cleaned and backed up, so storage isn't an issue. If I had to choose between shooting JPEG or RAW and dealing with the Olympus software I wouldshoot JPEG every time.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:19 AM   #3

thanks for the reply. I will go out and start shooting in raw and play around a bit, until i get frustrated by the oly software!

hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:36 AM   #4

Hi Daniel

Fully agree with Greg on the reasons for shooting in RAW - I always screw up the WB even when I'm using my FZ10 so I've found shooting in RAW really helpfull which can;t be said about the Oly software. At the moment I'm using Lightroom but need to have a real good look at Capture One as its supposed to be the best RAW app available. However, I have been really impressed with SHQ esp if you do nail the exposure.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:44 AM   #5

I switch between the two as well.. all shots where i feel the moment is everything i take in raw, while the fun shots are all in jpeg shq

am seriously thinking of augmenting the memory with a xd card just for the jpeg shots and continue to use the extrme 3 for RAW.

moments like these than the "RAW" button on the K10D looks so practical !

would you know if Oly would be able to do a firmware upgrade so that the DOF button could also work as a RAW mode button ?

sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:25 AM   #6

I started doing RAW recently, but the workflow seems a lot to a casual shooter like me, last thing I want is sitting in front of the computer for hours post processing. Also, I believe that I would never learn it if I knew I can fix some of the settings later. I am thinking of going back to SHQ.
However, when I do some special shots, like rare family photographs or my son's I do RAW, I dont want to lose the moments. (a few of them still waiting there for me to 'develop'....I am too lazy for this I guess!)

Also, I tried a few RAW software, each one does it differently, I am confused which one is good or right.
prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:49 AM   #7

I shhot in RAW+SHQ, that way I get the best of both...for the average pictures I'll process the JPEG file, but for the best ones, or ones I really want to save I'll process the RAW file.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:34 AM   #8

what size card do you use ? I have a 1GB card and am always worried ill run out of space with RAW!

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I shhot in RAW+SHQ, that way I get the best of both...for the average pictures I'll process the JPEG file, but for the best ones, or ones I really want to save I'll process the RAW file.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:45 PM   #9

prajull wrote:
Quote:
I started doing RAW recently, but the workflow seems a lot to a casual shooter like me, last thing I want is sitting in front of the computer for hours post processing. Also, I believe that I would never learn it if I knew I can fix some of the settings later. I am thinking of going back to SHQ.
However, when I do some special shots, like rare family photographs or my son's I do RAW, I dont want to lose the moments. (a few of them still waiting there for me to 'develop'....I am too lazy for this I guess!)

Also, I tried a few RAW software, each one does it differently, I am confused which one is good or right.
The biggest hurdle in shooting RAW is finding the software that works best for you. There's no way I would want to be stuck processing all my RAW files with the Olympus product.

When I did shoot JPEG, I almost without fail made adjustments in levels and sharpening, meaning I was having to adjust and save with every image.

In processing my RAW files with Capture One LE, I still process files individually- to me it's faster than trying to sit there, group "like" files and try to apply the same settings. The difference with C1LE is the way it handles the processing. I can adjust 6-7 files and place them in a batch, then start the batch process and continue editing files and adding them to the working batch. As long as the processor is still working it will continue to accept and process files as I go, making the process very efficient, and the edit screen shows changes in real time without the delays you have to sit through with the Olympus software everytime you try to make one adjustment. I can see how ANYONE using the Olympus software first would wonder why anyone would want to shoot RAW.

Back when I first bought C1LE, it had a 20 file maximum batch size, but that is no longer the case, soI can add any number of files to a working batch and it just keeps on going.

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:43 PM   #10

i found rawshooter to be very good. apply the settings to all the files and then put them for batch processing and go for dinner

the olympus software is really sad