Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:59 PM   #11

Hi Donna

Thanks for posting this question as I've been thinking along the same lines but mainly on using a fast Nikon or a Zukio 50mm f1.8 prime lens with the E1. Has anyone tried using the Nikon 50 mm f1.8 - I'm just curious as its dirt cheap even brand new and I was wondering if it would be a good lens to have for available light shoots or should I just sit still and wait for the PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 (thats gonna cost $$$$) or go for the Zukio 50mm f2.0 macro or even teh panaLeica 45mm f2 when it turns up.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:07 PM   #12

HarjTT,

Side issue: you know I have a pana too, with the 12x zoom. What lens do I need for my dslr (e-500) to cover the same ground as the pana. I have a feeling it is going to cost a fortune. I can't do a fortune now....so that is why I was asking about old primes, etc...with adapters. Trying to find more reach for birding without breaking the bank. I bought a 50mm 1.8 canon lens from a neighbor for 30.00 in mint shape. Wanted to try this out on the e-500. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:35 PM   #13

Hi Donna

Your 45-150 is close as it comes up to a 300mm lens and for its price is a steal but to match the FZ's reach we're going to be looking at the 50-200 size lens which will give you the 400mm reach but without IS. The 55-200 is about $600-700USD which if you think about it is pretty good considerign its a pro lens. I think we're going to see a couple of top Sigma lenses that are going to have the reach, speed F4 throughout the range and also be affordable. They have IS based lenses and we should be seeing those being made available as Sigma have stated that all their lenses will be in the 4/3 mount. How and if the IS will work with the Oly's I'm not sure but they'd be really cool to have.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:27 PM   #14

I do, quite often, but, IMHO, it depends on which Olympus body (and in particular, the viewfinder) I've come to the opinion that the E-500's viewfinder may not be up to the task, but the other Olympus bodies are. I use an E-300 and an E-1 for the task, and my E-300 is equipped with a Katz Eye aftermarket focusing screen that greatly assists in the task of manual focusing. The E-330 allows use of live view as an assist in precise focusing. The E-300 and E-1 have larger finders than the E-500, and they can accept Katz-eye screens, while the E-500 cannot

In particular, I believe that using a Katz Eye screen makes the task MUCH easier, and the larger finder of the E-300 and E-1 also helps out quite a bit.

Here's a shot I took yesterday at the Miramar Air show, using my E-300 and a Tokina 100-300mm f4 ATX zoom that was a Nikon AI-mount lens, using an adapter bought on ebay from Cirrusgao for under $50.

Shot with the zoom at or near 300mm, at f8, using aperture priority mode, with a shutter speed around 1/1600, manually focused
Attached Images

DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:30 PM   #15

Here's another, shot with my E-300 and Tokina 100-300mm f4 ATX zoom (manual focus Nikon AI mount), shot at f8, Aperture priority, shutter speed at 1/1600

Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:32 PM   #16

And another
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:36 PM   #17

and another

So you see, it is very possible to get good results using manual focus legacy optics on the Oly 4/3 bodies. Aperture priority mode always works, and it is, IMHO, the most useable general purpose mode in any case.
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:43 PM   #18

Last one for now. I would point out that because of the Olympus' 2X crop factor, I was basically shooting with the reach of a 600mm f4 equivalent lens, and able to hand hold this rig quite easily. I was surrounded by a couple of guys with massive lenses on their Nikons. One had a D2X with a huge Nikkor 200-400mm f4 zoom, and the other had a 500mm f4 Nikkor on his Nikon D200. They were having a hard time swivelling themselves and their huge lenses around on their tripods fast enough to keep up with the planes, which, as you might imagine, go by pretty fast in an airshow at pretty close range. When I told them I was actually using a Nikon-mount lens on my Olympus that was half the size of their lens, but had the same reach as a 400mm would have on their Nikon digital SLR bodies, you could see their jealousy. I was getting some shots that they were missing because I could very easily hand hold the rig I was using.
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:06 PM   #19

Thanks Doug, I like the idea of having more lens to choose from...I bought a canon 50mm 1.8 this morning (near mint) for $30 from a guy in the paper. That's the kinds of deals I am looking for. I don't mind spending some serious money for a nice lens, but for right now I am learning and having fun and don't want my purchases to be a burden.

And great shots by the way!!!

One more question. I am going to need a different body?? I like the way the e-500 feels, but seems like I amrunning into issues,like manually focusing with older lens....should I wait and see what followsthe E-1...D onna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:50 PM   #20

Well Donna, I really like the fact that right now, an E-300 or an E-1 body can be gotten so very inexpensively. I actually bought an extra E-300 because they are so cheap (They can be gotten for $300 as factory demos from Cameta), or even less 2nd hand, or an E-1 can be gotten for under $500

I actually bought the second E-300 because I wasn't sure whether the Katz-Eye screen that I was installing in my first one would degrade the metering and focusing performance with current AF lenses (but it's fine, I really have no issues with it). But then, I couldn't resist the siren call of a cheap E-1 body as well, so I got that too.

I expect that the E-1 follow-on camera will cost between $1500 and $2000 for the body, so that's a major piece of change. But I would expect it to be a great camera. The real question is, do you need all those extra capabilities that it offers, especially when an E-300 body can be had for < $300, and an E-1 body for < $500.

I should add, including installation, a Katz-Eye screen goes for around $150 on an E-300. On an E-1, it's a user installable option, since the E-1 has interchangeable screens, so it's cheaper, around $100 including shipping.

Major news update: I see on their website that Katz-Eye have plans to support the E-500 very soon. I would expect that with installation, it would cost the same $150 that the E-300 does.

www.katzeyeoptics.com

I have to add that the customer service from Katz-Eye is sensational, and their product is excellent, I couldn't endorse them more highly. I would encourage you to e-mail them about availability and installation options for your E-500. Tell Rachel I recommended them to you.