Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:57 PM   #21

I should also mention, that I hope you bought that Canon 50mm f1.8 lens to use on a Canon camera. The Canon lens mounts are among the only ones for which there are no adapters to fit 4/3.

The 4/3 adapters that I use and can recommend are:

Pentax M42 screw mount to 4/3
Nikon (F, AI, AIS) to 4/3
Olympus OM to 4/3
Leica R to 4/3

Others that I have never used, but which I know exist are:

Pentax K bayonet to 4/3
Contax/Yashica bayonet to 4/3
Exacta to 4/3
Minolta MD to 4/3

DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:13 PM   #22

I sent them an email/inquiry.

Do you think (just your opinion) I should invest more money in the e-500 or wait and move up. I don't want to keep changing bodies, rather invest in lens, but do I have that kind of foundation in the e-500??? Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:36 PM   #23

Donna, IMHO, it really depends upon whether you find that your E-500 has significant OTHER limitations for you besides manual focusing of older lenses.

When I bought my first Olympus E-300, it was with the specific knowledge that I was going to get a Katz-Eye screen and use several manual focus lenses that I owned on it. Were it not for that, I would probably have gone for the E-500.

One thing that I would observe is that Olympus' current product line is confusing, in that there is no clear top or bottom to it. There are many things in which the E-1 is the best, and some things for which the E-500 is the best (AF speed, portability, JPEG resolution), while the E-300 and E-330 tend to be in the middle for most things. I personally just LOVED the ergonomics of the E-300, and I couldn't believe the deals that were out there on it earlier in this year - because to me, it was an equivalent camera to the E-500 but with one key advantage that I intended to use (the Katz-Eye screen). I literally bought TWO E-300 bodies for the price most folks pay for ONE entry level DSLR (I paid under $800 for TWO E-300 bodies and the 2 kit lenses through Cameta)

IMHO, if the ability for manual focusing is only real limitation you find on the E-500 for your purposes, then I would say that putting a $150 Katz-Eye screen into it is a very good option. If, on the other hand, there are other limitations that you find pressing, then your only real choices would be to wait for the E-3, or jump ship to something like a Nikon D200 or a Canon EOS-30D (or the soon to arrive 40D). But I tend to doubt that you would need one of these.

I should add that I find that if you get REALLY serious about your shooting, you will want to have two bodies anyways, with a second one readily available with a different lens, and/or different settings. And your E-500 will surely, for the forseeable future, be plenty good enough to serve as that second body, even if you do outgrow it as your primary one.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:40 PM   #24

My last question I promise...what about the Pentax K10D, I know it has a dust buster, is sealed and is stablilized and all those lens...and no I bought that canon thinking I could use an adapter...shoot!!!!
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:50 PM   #25

Well, if you really wish to jump ship, IMHO the Pentax K10D is a perfectly good alternative. But, I would caution you, I really don't think you need to, other than some fears that Olympus is not the horse you wish to invest in for the future. But frankly, I think that the relative advantages of ANY midrange DSLR over your E-500 are actually rather negligible.

I personally think that image stabilization is nice to have, but it's not, to me, a major feature, just a minor one.

As for "all those lenses" In truth, with inexpensive adapters and once you have a Katz-Eye screen, your Olympus has a selection that is even greater. Not only can all those manual focus Pentax lenses be used, so can older Olympus, Nikon, Leica, Contax, etc. In terms of MODERN DIGITAL-optimized lenses, I don't think that Pentax's selection is really any better than Olympus.

The one thing besides in-body image stabilization which I believe that Pentaxes are tangibly better than your Olympus is in the size of the viewfinder. But an E-1's finder is just as good, and an E-300's not far behind. And, as I said, with a Katz-Eye screen, I believe that an E-500 will be good enough to use seriously with manual focus lenses
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:47 AM   #26

Hi Donna here are some fromom 50 1,8...

Cheers!

Moncho
Attached Images

Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:51 AM   #27

another

Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2006, 9:15 AM   #28

Lovely portraits. What body do you have? I don't know if I can manually focus very well with my e-500. Donna
Old Oct 21, 2006, 11:58 AM   #29

Useful information Doug, ta! (And great shots by the way) I have a few older but great lens' I used on my OM2 and they're a real bugger to focus without a screen. Seeing they won't auto focus one does need some help

That Vivitar 600 is really touchy, just a fraction of motion on the focus adjust and you've lost the shot and that was with a split screen. To get a photo of the moon I had to take about 8-10 shots just to focus in. That was before I started bracketing for light. The Oly 50mm 1.4 could use it as well.

Just looked at their site, I'm going to monitor it for the E550 release.

Edit: How tough it it to install yourself? I used to do my own on other cameras, just wondering if these need special tools or instructions

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:02 AM   #30

mm, sorry Donna I forgot that! it´s E-1, hope it helps!