Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:11 AM   #31

Katz-Eye does not consider the E-300 Katz Eye screen to be user installable at all. They won't even provide instructions to do it, because they believe you'll damage the camera or the screen if you try it. I don't know how tough it will be to install their upcoming E-500 screen. The E-1 screen is easily user installable, because the E-1 has user interchangeable screens.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:19 AM   #32

I am getting the feeling I will need another body. But what...a body that I find great old primes for...and be able to manually focus them. I haven't bought any new lens, just the kit lens, cause I am not sure what olympus willl have to offer, the E3...then there is thepanasonic L1, are theythe upcoming bodies for the now and the near future.What I reallly want is the dslr version of my fz 7, of course with usable high iso. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:29 AM   #33

DougJGreen wrote:
Quote:
Katz-Eye does not consider the E-300 Katz Eye screen to be user installable at all. They won't even provide instructions to do it, because they believe you'll damage the camera or the screen if you try it. I don't know how tough it will be to install their upcoming E-500 screen. The E-1 screen is easily user installable, because the E-1 has user interchangeable screens.
Doug, good info. I'm wondering if the E300 installation is related to the 'flat top' on the camera (Well hoping any way.. ) This is part of their reply to my email on when it'll be available for the 500. It suggests!! that it can be self installed.

"release will come in the next several weeks.
At that point, we'll be able to release all the information about that
model, including installation instructions, metering effects, etc"

Donna, you're hopping around your equipment like a flea on a hot plate... Just a suggestion mind you, because I was doing the same for a while. Take your camera and fav. lens and just use it... a lot. Look at the shots with a critical eye and go out and do better until you're really comfortable with what you have.

I feel good about my 500 now and the kit lenes. Most of the time the auto focus is smarter than me anyway.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:47 PM   #34

-Donna

Hey ... just a little suggestion.

Sell off your Olympus system ... you might be at a loss
of maybe a 100 USD.

Then rent out some equipment you think will give you
better results and then go to your favorite spot and
take pictures. Possibly ... go to the same spots where
you took your pictures with Oly E 500.

Then compare the pictures you took with both the systems.

Then let us know which one gave better results ...

From where I come ... you can take my word for it ... systems
adapted from legacy into modern are capable of working the
way you want it to work. BUT ... systems designed from scratch
will come out the winner eventually. However ... even systems
developed from scratch, due to business pressures, will
be subjected to adaptation ... and at that point of time they
will start their journey towards their end and give way to newer
systems developed from scratch.

All the time Canon,Nikon were busy adapting legacy into digital
and selling all that to people who had no options ... Olympus
was researching into developing the real Digital SLR system.

You have it ... keep it or leave it ... wait for sometime and the
lenses you want will be there at a more likeable price ... but I
think if you decided to spend 500 USD on a box that takes pictures
and weighs about 1 Kg ... I think you had already thought of the
peripherel expenses ... if not ... then think about them now ...
learn to use the system and when you are happy with what you
produce with kit glass ... go buy your fav lense
(And keep ur old point-n-shoot with you for the times you dunno
how to use the DSLR)

(Just my 2 c BTW)

And BTW ... I have seen the pics you posted ... you seem to be
taking really good pictures.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:02 PM   #35

I'm just bumping this thread to the top, because it answers a bunch of questions that fingersonly has been asking about using manual focus lenses with adapters.

Older Nikon lenses work the same way as Older Olympus ones, but they use a different adapter.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:05 PM   #36

Hi, all
is this the adapter you are talking about? the cirrus adapter any one have reviews on it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-SLR-Lens-t...QQcmdZViewItem

also found this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-lens-adapt...hippingPayment

any thoughts?

Riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:14 AM   #37

IMHO, the adapter you have the photo of is the better of the two, and worth the extra $10-15. With Nikon to 4/3 adapters, assuming that the registration is accurate (and all of the ones I've tried have been OK), the most important issue is the ruggedness of the little clip that attaches to the pin which locks the lens in place, and which is pushed to dismount the lens from the adapter. Some are better than others, and the one which you've shown in the photo is as good as any.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:37 PM   #38

Donna, of course whether or not you keep your E-500 body is purely your choice, but having moved from a Panasonic FZ1 (which I still own and frequently use), I know what you're going through when it comes to lenses and the Olympus DSLR systems. It sure would be nice to get an Olympus kit lens with the E-500 that covered the same zoom range as the FZ1 with f2.8 throughout! But...not happening! It's almost like Olympus is in all this to make money or something! Haha. Anyway, what happens is that you end up facing the infamous three choices:

1. Stick with a Prosumer P&S (like a Panasonic FZ50) and realize that you'll be missing shots that require high ISOs.

2. Buy/keep the E-500 two-lens kit, and appreciate getting the shots you'll miss with option #1 above, but realize that without investing major $ your lens range is going to be something less.

3. Trick out your E-500 with split-focus screen, a lens adapter, and some old manual focus lenses.

If you choose option #3, keep in mind that just like there are alternatives to the original Olympus OM lens adapter, there are also alternatives to the Katz Eye focus screens that cost significantly less. I picked up a split focus screenfrom the eBay seller, Virtual Village, for $31 shipped. It should be arriving any day now, so I'll post at least a mini review of it, but there are dozens of people on the various internet forums who have reported that the Virtual Village split focus screen is two thumbs up. Honestly, I have yet to see any negative reviews of it at all.

As long as you like the E-500 for other reasons, I don't really see why you should necessarily give up on it. It's an excellent camera body, and quite a few pros using the E-1 are using the E-500 as their backup camera body and really like the results they're getting. However, you should never keep a camera that you don't like, and there's no time like the present to get out of investment cycle if you're planning on moving on to a different camera body, especially a completely different namebrand.

Good luck with your decision!
Internetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:05 AM   #39

Hi there,

I have way too many lenses for my adapter. Please see here: www.gadgetmiser.com for a review of them all. Comments welcome!
dhryffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:34 AM   #40

Well, I tried out my slew of Nikon lenses on a buddy's D70. :sad: I should have just stuck with Nikon. Guess I'll get the adapter and use em on my E300. I'd sell off the Oly, but will loose too much $ and I'm not willing to loose that much $. I'm already loosing on the value of my film cameras.
Riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote