Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:19 PM   #1

I am a novice to DSLRs and one of the questions I have is how many oly users use the older lens with adapters...I know you would have to manually focus and meter, I assume it is cheaper to use these lens, what kind of results do you get. Pros and Cons...any pictures out there. Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:39 PM   #2

Well, I have several lenses; since I own a 35mm oly; but I have really only tested out a few so far..

The 135mm/3.5 has given me some were nice results, so far. This lens has made it from the shelve in my house, into my ''travel heavy'' bag for hiking and taking photos.

The 50mm/1.8 lens also has given me some very nice results, as a matter of fact, once I clean the several fish tanks in the house, I plan on spending a few hours getting photos of some of the fish I have. This lens has made it into my ''travel light'' bag.

I also have other lenses, just havent had the time to check them out yet. My wife did use one of the 200mm lenses; not sure which; but she got horrible results. I think that was in part due to the conditions she was shooting under.

I'll try and get some photos up asap of what I have been able todo with these lenses.

I'm also using a true oly adaptor, I have seen some 3rd party ones on ebay but havent tried any of them. I do know someone who did and they had to actually to take the camera to the repair shop because the adapter wouldnt release from the camera, but the lens released fine from the adaptor.. The shop said, it was the 'poor' design of the adaptor.

Anyway, I'll try to get those pictures up asap! And happy hunting down some oly lenses!!

Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, where did you get the adapter? Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:46 PM   #4

Whenthey say "true Oly" adapter, no doubt they refer to the one adapter Olympus makes for their OM line to be used on their digital bodies. This one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Now, is that the only option? No way. If you look long enough on the Olympus site at DPReview you'll see many talk about adapters bought on eBay from the far east that are knock-offs and cost much, much less....less than $20, and they seem to do a good job listening to those who have tried them.

When it comes to using other brands of lenses on an Olympus digital body, third-party adapters are all you have an option to buy. Many people today shoot Nikon F mount lenses on Olympus digital SLR's, but you can also find adapters to use Pentax (both screw mount and K mount) and others. Just do some searches on eBay and you'll find them.

The one thing you need to think about is the screen in your camera. Have you tried manually focusing with your current lenses on your E-500? Many who use manual lenses do so on E-1's. The viewfinder on an E-1 is magnificent. Big and bright- easy to focus with a fast prime like a 180mm f2.8 Nikkor or 50mm f1.8 Zuiko. Finders on the other bodies, while perfectly good for the job (I love my E-300 too) they are smaller and dimmer than the E-1. If you do buy some manual lenses, you need to stick with the fast ones. I wouldn't buy anything slower than f2.8 in the tele range or f2 in the wide to normal range of lenses to keep your screen as bright as possible.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5

My local camera shop had 6 of the olympus adapters in stock, now they have none.

MF-1 OM Adapter (OM to 4/3 Lens Adapter)
Permits the adaption of certain Olympus OM lenses to be used with the E-1, Evolt E-300, E-330 and E-500.

I know they say certain OM Lenses, but to the best of my knowledge, that should be all OM lenses; not certain.
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:36 AM   #6

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
I am a novice to DSLRs and one of the questions I have is how many oly users use the older lens with adapters...I know you would have to manually focus and meter, I assume it is cheaper to use these lens, what kind of results do you get. Pros and Cons...any pictures out there. Thanks, Donna
Hi Donna, I found this one I took as a test shot a while ago with my E500 and a 600mm Vivitar Mirror lens I bought 28 years ago for my OM2.
I bought the 4/3 adaptor from Olympus. (They used to give them away when the first intoduced the 4/3 system) Mine cost $99.
I took thisjust to see how it worked. Takenat night with just the hall lighting. of my front door from about 20 feet.

I know I have some more I've taken with a few of my old lenses and they work quite well. Just can't find them now.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:43 AM   #7

Here's the 600 lens on the camera.
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:51 AM   #8

Cool, looks like a classic Series 1. Give us some moon shots with that thing!

I've had some of those original Series 1 lenses: 135mm f2.3, 28mm f1.9, 35-85 f2.8. Every one of them heavy as heck and good as gold, in Nikon F mount.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:25 AM   #9

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Cool, looks like a classic Series 1. Give us some moon shots with that thing!

I've had some of those original Series 1 lenses: 135mm f2.3, 28mm f1.9, 35-85 f2.8. Every one of them heavy as heck and good as gold, in Nikon F mount.
Fine hunk of glass innit? I carted this one around Nepal, that and a 2x adapter got me some fine mountain shots. You soon used to find out who your friends were when you invted them around for a 1000 shot slide show....:-)

Moon shot....I'm planning to dig out my 5 inch Celestron with the T-mount for those.Now allI need is time.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:00 AM   #10

I only use my Tamron mirror lenses 350mm f5.6 and 500mm f8. The first is my walk-around lens in nature for handheld shots.

Both have macro ability. The photos lack contrast, but that is easily added in PhotoShop. I have lots of other OM lenses, have tried several of them, but don't use them as my zooms cover their range.

I got the adapter for free from Olympus.

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote