Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:32 PM   #1

I know it's a question for Oly but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Shootingmy E500 on'auto' the camera won't focus, that's with either of my auto lenes so it's looks like a body thingy.
It'll work just fine if I go to landscape, portrate or other modes. The motor runs, the little red light flashes and the beep works.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:44 PM   #2

-Scouse

Geeez ... thats scary :roll:

Did u try reseting the camera to factory settings ?

Or try to install the firmware again ...

--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:49 PM   #3

Hi Scouse

I agree with Gagguu - the first thing I'd try is do a factory reset on the cam and see if that works. If it doesn't then check for firmware updates for both the camera and the lenses may be in order. If none of those work then I'm not too sure on what to do other than call Olympus and see if they know of anything.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the responces you guys, I'll get out the trusty book and find out what "Firmware" is... seriously. But I'll try the factory default first.

I'll let you know.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:49 PM   #5

Do you mean that there's no motor sound at all from the lens, or the lens moves but doesn't lock into focus?

If there's no motor sound and the aperture shows ---, make sure your lens is locked properly...if you are the type to hold down the release button when attaching the lens, try turning the lens WITHOUT holding down the button and see if it locks into position. Personally I NEVER press the release button while attaching the lens. Also make sure you're not touching the lens release button while shooting...pressing the lens release button will disable the lens.

If the lens moves but doesn't lock into focus, you should learn how focus works:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:31 PM   #6

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Do you mean that there's no motor sound at all from the lens, or the lens moves but doesn't lock into focus?
Quote:
"I mean there is 'No' motor sound or visual movement from the lens when the shutter release is pressed halfway down. With no movement it doesn't aquire a locktherefor there is no beep or light indicating such."
Quote:
If there's no motor sound and the aperture shows ---, make sure your lens is locked properly...if you are the type to hold down the release button when attaching the lens, try turning the lens WITHOUT holding down the button and see if it locks into position. Personally I NEVER press the release button while attaching the lens. Also make sure you're not touching the lens release button while shooting...pressing the lens release button will disable the lens.
Quote:
"When I switch to another mode such as portrait or landscape or any, the auto focus works the way it should including the beep and light as it aquires a focus lock.
Indicating to me that the lens is locked and connected the way it should be and the lens release button is not being pressed.No, I don't hold the lens release while locking the lens."
Quote:
If the lens moves but doesn't lock into focus, you should learn how focus works:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm
Quote:

"I can't find anything in the trusty handbook about factory defaults or resets. Time to look on line. Tomorrow, time permitting, I'll call Oly. Thanks for your concerns and kind comments.
All the firmware tells me is that the lens is1.0 as is the body."
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:22 AM   #7

-Scouse

I am sure there is a way to reset the camera to factory default. I think you
have to press the Menu button and the EV compensation (+/-) button both
together.

Uhhhh ... the only trouble is I am not sure whether its EV or AEL button
in combo with Menu button.

But I remember I read in a haste about that in the "Basic Manual" i.e. the small
bookylet with basic instructions. Its not in the advanced manual which you get
on the DVD ....

Try looking thru it if you still have it around.

Cheers,
--
Gaggu
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:06 AM   #8

Ok, I am being too trivial here...

Did you accidentally change the focus mode to MF in the Auto Mode?

Can you try using the focus ring and see if you can focus?

My guess is, if it works fine in other modes, there shouldn't be anything wrong. The firmware isn't going to messup by itself 99.99% of the time.
prajull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:11 PM   #9

I'M BA'ACK...!!! And it's working again.

Thanks you guys for concerns and help. I have no idea what caused it I must have overrode the autosomehow but it did reset.

I woke at 3am with it on my mind and just as Gaggu suggested I tried theMenu button and the EV compensation (+/-) button both
together.

Quote Gaggu: "Uhhhh ... the only trouble is I am not sure whether its EV or AEL button
in combo with Menu button."

Yes there is an echo in here. At 3am I don't have much retention but I went to sleep happier.....:-)
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:30 PM   #10

-Scouse

Cheerios ...

Hey ... I wonder ... didn't you take any picture then and there :roll:

Cheers,
--
Gaggu