Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:44 PM   #1

I have an Oly E300 and am looking fo recommendations for a wide angle lense that won't break the bank. Does anyone have any recommendations?
JCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2

JCher wrote:
Quote:
I have an Oly E300 and am looking fo recommendations for a wide angle lense that won't break the bank. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Right now, your choices are very limited. The two Olympus options, The 11-22 and 7-14 Zuikos are expensive and very expensive comparativly, but patience will give you an alternative, as Sigma has announced their entire line at some point next year will be available in 4/3rd's mount, meaning you'll have access to the 10-20 Sigma.

"Breaking the Bank" can be a relative term. Most normal zooms go down to 14mm, which is 28mm in 35mm film terms, so many would call it "wide angle" and be happy with that. Lenses that go as wide as 11mm or wider constitute super wide, and few, if any,good quality superwides are inexpensive. Last time I checked the 10-20 Sigmawas around $450 or $500. That's about as "affordable" as you are going to find and stay high quality. If 11mm is wide enough, to me the 11-22 is a better buy. It's faster at both endsthan the Sigma as well as beingit better built with gasketing to protect the insides from the elements, be it rain or dust.

For anything wide than 14mm, that's about it as far as your choices go, today or tomorrow. Pansasonic is in the process of introducing their own line of lenses under the Leica name that will all be compatible with Olympus bodies, but nothing with the word "Leica" stuck on it will be affordable for the masses.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:55 AM   #3

IMHO, you would be much better off getting a used Zuiko 11-22 f2.8~3.5 than waiting for the Sigma 10-20. The Zuiko 11-22 can be gotten for $500-550 used in near mint to mint condition (I paid $505 for mine plus $15 shipping from someone who was bailing on the 4/3 system).

The Sigma, if it does become available (and I don't believe Sigma has announced that the 10-20 will be supported in 4/3 in any case) would cost nearly $500 new, and it will be noticeably slower (1 full f stop), and have higher distortion, and poorer build quality than the Olympus 11-22.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:56 AM   #4

Sorry for the duplicate post
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:56 AM   #5

Sorry again for the duplicate post
Old Oct 16, 2006, 7:33 PM   #6

Thanks for the info.
JCher is offline   Reply With Quote