Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm wondering if any other users of the E-330 are seing bands (usually horizontal but can be diagonal or even vertical) in their high ISO pictures taken at low exposure compensation or at right exposures but in shadow areas? It is usually intermittent but often enough to be annoying to me and dehabilitating when taking high ISO shots (ISO800 or higher).

If so, please do share your experiences and pics of it. Do post here and I'd also appreciate any visit and contribution to:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=224562

The above link gives more detailed info on my experience with this issue.

Keywords (for search): band, bands, banded, striped, stripe, stripes, pattern, patterned, high, ISO, noise, E330, E-330

Examples of the defect:

cjtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:43 PM   #2

Moire - is the term, the E series do not have the High ISO capabilities of some other dSLRs, although your problem looks to be individual, possibly a bad sensor, i haven't experienced too much digital banding, however i avoid high ISO like the plague...and use photoshop and lightroom to resolve any moire problems
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:46 PM   #3

Hi CJ

I don't have an E330 but the horizontal banding issue was also evident in the pre-release versions of the Pana DMC L1 and again only at ISO400 and above. At ISO 800 it wasn;t too bad but at 1600 it was very obvious. The final versions of the L1 do not seem to have the banding issue so it may have been a problem that was easily fixable in firmware. You may want to see if you have the latest firmware and upgrade if necessary.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, -=edge=- and HarjTT.

-=edge=-, it isn't moire. What pattern in the background of the pics is interfering with the CMOS photosite layout to produce moire? Patterns are there at fully picture size and crop and in RAW as well. I am using the latest firmware, 1.2.

Grainy and noisy pics is one thing, but having bands and stripes is a whole new issue altogether.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:41 PM   #5

yeah, i agree, just was not sure if you were familiar with the term. I think it's a sensor problem, it happens:sad:
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6

Sent in my E-330 for servicing a 2nd time and the service center loaned me a spare E-330 body supposedly already corrected/calibrated to addressthe horizontal banding.

Here's a ISO1600 shot with the loaned, calibrated, E-330 body:

http://www.box.net/public/kvxeetaz28

The horizontal banding is much lesser than what my own E-330 coughs up but still noticeable. I guess they can only minimise it, not completely eliminate it. I'll have to also wait and see what's the best they can do for my E-330, short of aNMOS sensor or some hardware replacement.The fix, I was told,is to be justsome 'calibration' procedure.

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7

Seems like a long, long, time ago back in '00, the Nikon D1 was also having banding problems and it was due to some malfunctioning electrical component. For some bodies, the component's functional parameters could be tweaked to solve the banding, while for others it'll require a replacement of that part:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-3682-3703

The banded images shown in the page is somewhat similar to what some of my high ISO images cough up. More diagonal than horizontal banding.

Hmm. No reply yet from the Olympus service centre. Was initially assured that it could be calibrated by "early this week" but maybe they're having difficulties or have discovered the hardware is uncooperative to tweaking and must be replaced.

Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:33 AM   #8

My 'serviced' E-330 has been returned with the NMOS changed and it's still exhibiting the bad noise bands. I had conveyed to them that it was OK to take as long a time to service it properly (because they were also loaning me a 'demo unit' E-330). I'm losing confidence of the Olympus support and there will be no more 3rd servicing attempt (I cannot be bothered anymore) -I'll be demanding a new unit. Awful QC standards!