Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

About 35% of my recent vacation photos taken with an Olympus E-300 and the 14-45 and 40-150 kit lenses bought in March 2005 suffered from a purple line appearing in the middle of the lower half of the photo. The technician at the local Olympus servcie centre tells me that mine is the first such case. Are there any members of the forum experiencing such a problem?
Attached Images

siowchuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:30 AM   #2

Can't tell with that photograph as it's been severely compressed (presumably by Steve's Digicams as it might limit the filesize of attatchments). You need to post an unaltered version of the image.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:58 AM   #3

Hi Siowchuan,

If you do a quick Google search, the keywords 'purple' and 'line' are synonymous with camera CCD problems across all makers' models.

It'll need some proper servicing and don't let the support technician's excuse of you being the first case he/she's ever heard of put you off. It's the same quick excuse (followed by an initial "there's nothing wrong" mis-assessment) I got when I first brought up my high ISO noise banding problem that is afflicting my E-330.

Your example picture's been severely compressed. Maybe you can upload your file to some general file-hosting site like box.net and then send us a link?

cjtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4

Many thanks to Mikefellh and cjtune. I have now trimmed the photo to comply with the permitted 244 kB size. I hope you are all able to view the purple line.
Attached Images

Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:55 PM   #5

Now I can see it.

In any case it needs repair, and that type of error can't be cured by you (I'm assuming it happens with other CF cards as well).

I don't suppose you bought an extended warranty...this repair MAY have been covered.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:41 AM   #6

The line appeared on some of the photos taken on all seven CF cards. Cards are by Lexar, Sandisk and Kingston. But the cards are innocent. I suspect it is a CCD fault. I hope other E-300 owners will not experience a bad CCD and if they do, they could share their experience. By sharing such information, intended buyers can then make up their minds which models to be wary of.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 4:32 PM   #7

Thats a pretty disturbing thing to find in your pics and from a new camera. I hope that you can get it repaired under warranty or they should just give you a new cam.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote